• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing EXIF Data in .ARW Raw File?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing research on this for the past hour and can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. What I am trying to do is change the date created for on my raw file. I shoot Sony so they are .ARW files. I want to know if it is somehow possible to change the date created on the raw file and save it on the raw file? Basically, I went through different time zones, across the world pretty much so it's saying it's about a day apart. My boss required me to provide the raw files with every edited file. So is this possible? Changing the date in the Raw file itself?

I am working on a Mac if that matters at all & I am working with both Lightroom and Photoshop.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time change can be written to RAW files. This is turned off by default in the Catalog settings and you need to turn this on first.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Change the photo capture time

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see this and I followed the steps that Adobe provided, while it cataloged it correctly in LR when I went to the actual RAW file, it just placed a XMP sidecar alongside it. The actual RAW file is still unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmh ...Do you have Automatically Write Changes Into XMP turned on?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I tried it, yes I had Automatically Write Changes into XMP turned on, but then I tried it again with that turned off and I saw no change. I will try it again with that turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you need to commit this change to the RAW file by hitting Ctrl+S - I never tried.

This will generate a sidecar XMP too but you can discard this if it bothers you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I do that, the files still has the wrong Created Date. Is there a way to affect the actual RAW file without a sidecar? When I turn in my photo, I can't attach a XMP sidecar file as well. I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you verify that it did not write to the RAW?

If this does not work, I'm afraid but then it seems not to work with ARW or it's simply a bug in LR.

Another solution is ExifTool: ExifTool by Phil Harvey and/or ExifToolGUI: Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To verify it didn't write to the file I Right Clicked>Get Info and Dropped it into Photoshop and File>File Info.

Possible it is a bug for LR. I've just been thinking I was doing something wrong. I will check into these ExifTools. They will save the Created Date and Exif Data to the RAW file, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me add that the date and time you are viewing Finder and Get Info is the date and time the "FILE" was CREATED ON the Hard Drive. Not what is stored in the RAW file EXIF as the Capture date and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gdm_illregulr  wrote

Even though I do that, the files still has the wrong Created Date. Is there a way to affect the actual RAW file without a sidecar? When I turn in my photo, I can't attach a XMP sidecar file as well. I'm stumped.

The Create Date as viewed with a File Manager like Finder or Windows File Explorer is something completely different than the Capture date and time recorded in the EXIF data of the image.

Where exactly are you trying to View this date and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot ... this probably will write future changes only and not what you already changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines