Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge wont Work.

Advocate ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a document i'm trying to use data merge on  and it says i cannot open the document.  Its a CSV file. i only have 1 entry in it right now but it will not load in Indesign any ideas?  I'm using the latest indesign and Excel. for MAC osX 10.11.06.  I've tried saving it as several different types of CSV but none work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Hi,

Make sure that your data source file is structured in such a way that you can include the appropriate fields in your target document. For example, the top row of a spreadsheet should contain the field names that you’ll use in the target document, such as “Company” and “Address.”

Can you try after ensuring that the 1 entry you have created right now, has more column entries below it. Something like...

Save it as a CSV (as per your OS) and then close Excel. Opening it in InDesign would then show

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly does the error read when you try to choose your data merge source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Make sure that your data source file is structured in such a way that you can include the appropriate fields in your target document. For example, the top row of a spreadsheet should contain the field names that you’ll use in the target document, such as “Company” and “Address.”

Can you try after ensuring that the 1 entry you have created right now, has more column entries below it. Something like...

Save it as a CSV (as per your OS) and then close Excel. Opening it in InDesign would then show you something similar to...

Let us know if this helped.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I had the Excel spreadsheet still opened.  Apparently you have to close it even if you save it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines