• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Branched to: Old program and new files doen't work

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got on the forum.  Up until now I  have not had any success.   I so have a question that has been asked many times.  I have purchased at least $4000.00 of software over the years, from Adobe and now that I have upgraded to the Canon D5 Mark IV my CS6 extended will not open the raw files shot by the camera.  This in my opinion is the action of a company that has no appreciation for its past customers that have supported their company over the years.  In reality it is near impossible to even get in touch with Adobe.  Sad reflection on their treatment of their customers.  Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support old version of Photoshop. It has always been that way.  New Cameras have new RAW formats.  Old Version of ACR do not have support for.  However,  Adobe has it own RAW format and Adobe has a Free RAW file converter you can use to convert your Canon D5 Mark IV RAW files to Adobe RAW format they will have a File Extension DNG not CR2. You will have two RAW Files for your Images.  ACR 9.1.1 in CS6 will be able to Process you RAW DNG files.

IMO Adobe support is not what it should be Adobe support is historically poor.   Do not expect it to get better as Photoshop expands in size and scope support will not get better.

I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years spent over $4000 on Photoshop myself that comes to $200 per year.  Now I only pay $120 Photoshop is cheaper these days and you can have Lightroom too it you want it.  I do not install Lightroom myself.

Adobe program support is not good but Adobe does fund this web site to their new and old users. Adobe support site is Photoshop Family Customer Community  you could let them know you do not  appreciate their support there. However,  Adobe wants current customers not past customers. There is nothing free when it comes to free enterprise.  However Adobe did reduce the price for Photoshop IMO....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your complaint about the RAW support issue is, in my opinion, baseless and misdirected.

If you prefer processing RAW images with ACR instead of the camera maker’s proprietary software you might want to petition them to allow shooting DNG so that Adobe does not have to play catch-up with each new camera model’s RAW format.

And Adobe does offer a free solution – DNG Converter.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

When you choose to use obsolete software it is up to you yourself to check whether new components you want to introduce into your set-up cause problems.

The information which Camera Raw version supports a camera type and which version of Photoshop is compatible with that ACR version is available:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask you a question? If you had a ten year old car would you expect it to have a built in SatNav ? Obviously not, so why would you expect support in old software for a new camera? Adobe have not cut you adrift without anyway of processing Raw files as they have provided a free digital negative converter as c.pfaffenbichler told you. What they aren't prepared to do is produce an update to the old programs every couple of months to allow for a built in Camera Raw feature-that would be extremely expensive and with a diminishing number of people using the old programs impractical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you upgraded to the 5D MkIV I presume you were also a loyal customer of Canon.

Did Canon give you the upgrade to the 5D MkIV for free? Did you complain if they charged you..............?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this reply makes adobe feel good about themselves.   Reality is that I am not asking for the latest version of Photoshop all I ask for is the software that hundreds of us own to work properly. When i want the features of the new version of Photoshop I will purchase the new version.  Question do you use that smart mouth to eat with,or is that reply part of your extensive training?

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now now Gene there is no need to be nasty like that. Dave doesn't even work for Adobe.

We have already given you the answer to this -Download the Digital Negative Converter. I really don't understand why you are complaining as it's free and takes all of two minutes to learn and will quickly batch convert your Raw files losslessly to dng files that will open in Photoshop. Most technical people think all digital cameras should come with dng output from the camera as it's just as good as raw but not proprietary.

For Windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1

For Mac

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1

Now grab your copy , stop being a grouch and get out into the sunshine shooting nice pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera makers could make this whole issue go away in a second, by supporting the open, publicly documented DNG format.

In other words, you should be mad at Canon, not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighten up Gene, I don't work for Adobe, I am a Photoshop user the same as you.

As several have said - you can use the free to download , free to use DNG convertor and process your files using your existing software which still works.

As you said, if you want the new features, which includes direct support for newer cameras, then you could purchase the new version.

eugenee22243155do you use that smart mouth to eat with......

I eat , talk, laugh and smile......

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for tolerating my frustration,  Gene 

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eugenee22243155  wrote

Reality is that I am not asking for the latest version of Photoshop all I ask for is the software that hundreds of us own to work properly.

Just to recap. The issues with that:

Adobe does not update the old when they come out with the new. That goes for CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC/CC 2014 and CC 2015.

Adobe Camera Raw stops at 4.6 for CS4, 5.7 for CS5, and 9.1.1 for CS6. DNG Conversion takes over for newer models.

The last difficulty is that CS6 does not play well with later operating systems and hardware that did not exist when it came out.

Windows 8 is the last stretch. Do not buy a 4k monitor. CS6 will not scale to it.

You are perfectly free to stay with the old software, but aside from the DNG Converter, no updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 works well on Windows 10 with 4K displays.  Windows scaling can also be use with CS6 or any other version of Photoshop.  With Windows 10 Preview no mods to Photoshop or windows is needed. Windows 10 Shortcuts can Override applications like Photoshop.  I do not know if the same is true for the latest Mac OSX.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eugenee22243155 , everybody else in a discussion disagreeing with one is by itself naturally not proof one is not right.

But in this case you should rethink your position.

Another recap:

• You chose to use an obsolete Photoshop version but seem to expect its Camera Raw plugin to get updated by Adobe

• Many Camera makers do apparently prefer their customers to process their cameras’ RAW images with their proprietary software instead of with ACR and for whatever reasons release new RAW formats with new camera models

• Adobe provides a free application to convert all RAW images ACR can process to DNG

I suppose most of the regulars on this Forum have had legitimate issues with Photoshop or Adobe over time – unfixed bugs, neglected feature requests, half-baked new features, imprudent default settings, the switch to the exclusive Cloud License model, …

But while I do not deny the validity of your dissatisfaction with Adobe’s customer support I think your complaint with regard to Photoshop CS6’s RAW support lacks merit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was always annoying that Adobe made ACR version specific  to new Photoshop version levels it their software they did this to push users to upgrade to make money.  However they also gave the user a free alternative to push DNG so I find that only annoying.

Not fixing reported bugs release after release is more than annoying ....... Removing working version of Photoshop is more than annoying.  Engineering in Scripting Bugs is more than annoying IMO why does Adobe do thing wrong by design.

Adobe should do better by their customers but they do not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering in Scripting Bugs is more than annoying IMO

An example: By now the Layer Comp applied to a SO in the containing document can be evaluated via AM code but when the feature was supposedly first introduced it was apparently broken right out of the gate and provided nonsensical results; that was strange.

A noticeably mystifying thing (to me at least) was when Filter Gallery was introduced without Smart Filter capability.

Well, use Photoshop long enough and you are likely going to notice a few »peculiarities«.

It was always annoying that Adobe made ACR version specific  to new Photoshop version levels it their software they did this to push users to upgrade to make money.

I am not convinced that was the reason for this.

With CC it does not hold anymore (ACR9.10 from CC to CC 2017) – though that might serve to support your suspicion.

Pity Mr.Cox (edited) does not pop by here as much as he used to a while back, he might have shed some light on the programming issues involved in the decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJMack  wrote

It was always annoying that Adobe made ACR version specific  to new Photoshop version levels

Maybe, but this how all software vendors do it, everywhere. It just makes sense.

It's about backwards compatibility. What if ACR 9 just couldn't be made to work under Photoshop CS5 without major rewrites, and perhaps even less functionality? Would we be ready to accept that? I think not.

Apple users in particular should keep very quiet in this matter. In terms of cutting off legacy product, Adobe isn't even in the same league as Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines