• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 2015.10.1 can't import from SD card

New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been able to use Lightroom to import direct from an SD card inserted into a USB-attached SD card reader on my windows PC.

Imported thousands of images this way, from a variety of SD cards and different camera RAW/JPEG formats.

Since the update to 2015.10.1, I can't get Lightroom to import from the SD card directly. It does import the images if I copy them manually to a local hard drive.

However, when I attempt to import from the SD card, Lightroom shows me the thumbnails of all the pics I want to import (as usual), but when I click import to copy & import, the import never finishes - it shows complete in the "Copy and import photos" progress bar (top left), but remains showing "Importing files..." in the central window and doesn't display any imports. It does copy the files and create target directories, etc - however the copied files have something wrong with them, because they cannot be opened by any other application (e.g. CameraRaw, other photo editing apps) while the originals can all be opened.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of the fact that you say this happened when you switched to 2015.10.1, this has all the symptoms of a hardware problem.

It does copy the files and create target directories, etc - however the copied files have something wrong with them, because they cannot be opened by any other application (e.g. CameraRaw, other photo editing apps) while the originals can all be opened.

This screams hardware problem. Card reader malfunction perhaps? Hard disk malfunction perhaps? Do some testing to see if these pieces of hardware are functioning properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but the hardware is working fine. i can read/copy files from the SD cards using windows explorer, i can read them using CameraRaw, I can copy the files manually onto a local hard drive and import them successfully into Lightroom.

Have just spent an hour with Adobe tech support, they reproduced the issue on my machine but didn't find a fix yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this rules out intermittent hardware problems. None of this rules out a bad sector on your hard disk (some files open properly, others don't).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

true, but

1. All files can be read using all other programs (CameraRaw, Silkypix, Explorer)

2. No files can be imported from different SD cards using Lightroom

3. Copying the same files to a local hard drive and then importing works 100% of the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. All files can be read using all other programs (CameraRaw, Silkypix, Explorer)

This is the opposite of what you said initially: "however the copied files have something wrong with them, because they cannot be opened by any other application (e.g. CameraRaw, other photo editing apps)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i was initially referring to the files that Lightroom created as part of failed import - nothing can read those.

The original files can be read by any program - and even Lightroom correctly shows a thumbnail of them before attempting (unsuccessfully) to import them.

Thanks dj_paige for trying to help, but we aren't getting anywhere. I'm waiting for Adobe tech support to call me back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is common it appears. After you've done the standard  troubleshooting:  restart. Simply do this:

Open Lightroom and the catalog in question. Go Under the FILE dropdown menu and chose "Optimize Catalog".

This should fix the problem.

All the Best,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines