Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking to automate pdf creation using csv, InDesign and Smartstream

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We manage a process that I'm trying to automate, and part of this process includes creating a pdf file from an csv file through InDesign 2015 and HP Smartstream.

We run this job about 40 times a week, and a sister company runs it about 80 times a week. The data changes per job, and one of two layers are used per job.

Currently, our process is:

1. Open InDesign and choose the template

2. Click "Smartstream Designer" to attach a database from a client folder on our network drive

3. Make sure "skip rows" is 1

4. Verify the DB

5. Click OK

6. Choose the correct layer

7. Click SmartStream Designer

8.  Create the job

9. Enter the name of the job (we use one of three job types)

10. Select the network drive folder for the output

11. Choose all records

12. Click Create

We are hoping to automate this process, perhaps from the command-line?

Your thoughts?

Rico

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Rico, it seems, that there are different plugins available from HP Smartstream? It seems also, that they can be controlled via Javascript. If I would be in your position, I would talk with you distributor if there is something already out of the box or hire someone to develop a script for you.

Kai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rico, it seems, that there are different plugins available from HP Smartstream? It seems also, that they can be controlled via Javascript. If I would be in your position, I would talk with you distributor if there is something already out of the box or hire someone to develop a script for you.

Kai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines