• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overset Text issue

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to copy and paste a cover layout of text and images to the first page of the interior layout file, and some of the text boxes become overset (not all). Obviously, there is some conflict, but I can't identify it.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

I gave up figuring out the problem and manually fixed each text frame.

Thanks for the invaluable lessons ... I'm still learning ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there other objects on that page with text wrap applied to them? Screenshots might help.

To be clear, is this being copy pasted within the same document or between two docs? While we're at it; Mac or Windows? What version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Bob.

I am attaching a screenshot of the original and the pasted copy.

Regarding your questions:

• No text wrap
  • Between 2 docs
  • Windows 10
  • InDesignCC, ME version

If you don't have a solution, then  work-around would be fine too.

Pasted_doc.pngThanks for your help!Original_doc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between two docs it is very possible to have conflicting styles that could cause unpredictable results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you recommend a work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried simply opening up the text frames? It looks like you have the text aligning to the bottom of the frame so set the reference point icon to the lower left before opening the frame and it should stay in alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your object styles in both documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't find a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the text is locked onto the baseline grid. Check between the 2 documents if the grid values are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your paragraph styles are NOT based on [Basic Paragraph].

Also, if you want to duplicate page to another document, you can choose Layout > Pages > Move Pages instead of Copy/Paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this option to get around the problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah: Hopefully, Vinny's approach will take of this. If not, feel free to post this one page on dropbox and send a link. We can take a quick look and give you a specific answer. Sometimes that's quicker than all the guess work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, let us know.

Nevertheless, while looking at your screenshots, I'm very surprised you didn't find any differences between your object styles, just like Bob suggested.

My guess is that your [Basic Text Frame] object style differs between the 2 docs, and gets in conflict. This would explain that Blue rounded-corner stroke that shouldn't be there and generates the Text in excess (since your frame probably fits the content).

Moving pages instead of copy/paste might be an acceptable workaround, but definitely won't clean up the conflicts (object & paragraph styles) that I would definitely recommend you try to get rid of...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up figuring out the problem and manually fixed each text frame.

Thanks for the invaluable lessons ... I'm still learning ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same problem. My fix was to choose Load Object Styles from the Object Styles panel and choose the file from which I was copying. This way, the object styles for both documents matched and the text pasted fine. We work mostly from templates at my office, so I also loaded the Object Styles with no document open to use these settings as my default for new documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines