• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are .json files generated when I back up a Elements 14 catalogue on an external drive?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I delete json files generated on an external hard drive when I back up a Elements 14 catalogue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rogero21492168  wrote

Can I delete json files generated on an external hard drive when I back up a Elements 14 catalogue?

No.

They are used for Face Analysis.

You should not change anything in a catalog backup: the files in the folder are to be used only by the restore command, they are not for your own use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger,

As suggested by Michel, it is not recommended to delete those JSONs file. For every media items in your catalog which has been analyzed by FR, a corresponding .JSON file would get created in your catalog folder. This will have the face information present in taht image. Deleting those .JSONs might affect the functioning of People View.

Thanks,

Anwesha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I cannot delete these .json files. Bu I have more than 1500 of those files on the highest level of my data disk. .Isn't it posssible to ask Elements 2018 to do its useful work somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your catalog in the root folder of the drive?

Or are you backing up to the root folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My backup folder is on C:\users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martenp45877896  wrote

My backup folder is on C:\users

Two important notes in your case.

1 - Nobody uses the C: drive for backups, only other (preferably external) drives, networks or the Cloud. The reason is the backup on C: would be useless if something bad happens to your C: drive.

2 - json files do appear in the catalog folder and in the backup folders. My guess is that you are seeing the catalog folder under C:\user. You can check that location and the catalog folder size from the menu Help >> system information. You only have a backup folder if you have used the File >> backup command in the organizer. A catalog folder is much smaller than a backup folder because a backup folder contains renamed copies of all your photo files as well as the database and accessory files.

In your situation, first be sure that it's the catalog folder which is on C: If it's a backup folder, it's useless and you can safely delete the backup folder from the Windows Explorer.

Since it is probably a catalog folder, you have a choice:

- to keep that folder where it is. This provides maximum speed for the organizer. The size of the catalog is probably negligible compared to the SSD size. What is crucial is to store your media files outside of the C: drive, not your catalog (which is mainly a sophisticated list of items, it does not contain any photo file). Ask if you need more help on moving photo files.

- to move it elsewhere, another internal or external drive. This is not done from the menus of the Organizer. You use the Windows Explorer to copy the catalog folder elsewhere and you delete the older one (either from the Organizer or from the Explorer).

If you are really short in SSD size, moving the catalog to another drive is perfectly adequate in speed, especially if you have enough RAM memory.

Pleas ask for more help if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Point taken , it was the result of a quick and dirty setup of my new PC. I learned the difference between the catalog location and installing backup now. The messy problem on the root of my D:  disk has to be over after the corrections you inspired me to.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines