• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Moving?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use multiple storage drives to store my images. First I import my raw files into my Master C: drive for editing. I normally keep them on this drive and export this folder as a calalog including the negitives to my storage drive A: drobo drive. So I have a copy basically. Now how can get that file to show up in my folder under my A: drive in lightroom? I have tried a simple import from another catalog. But for some reason after going through the process I cant see the folder in the A: drive?

What am I doing wrong here?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Lightroom cannot use the A: drive (or the B: drive) in Windows. You have to use letters C: or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I do have my A: drive listed with some folders that I have moved via drag and dropping. Maybe I need to rethink how I'm using Lightroom? Can we not have the same folder(s) listed on two separate drives in a single catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I need to rethink how I'm using Lightroom? Can we not have the same folder(s) listed on two separate drives in a single catalog?

Same folder names, exact copies of your photos, different drive, in one catalog?

Same folder names, different photos, different drive, in one catalog?

Which is it?

As I read your original post, it is not clear to me why you want the "copies" in Lightroom anyway, if these are truly meant to be backups. I do not think backups ought to be in the Lightroom catalog with the originals.

It used to be a true statement that Lightroom did not allow users to use A: or B: drives; perhaps that used to be true but is not true any more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to explain better.

My Master drive (lightroom - windows) C: Has my currant working project folders with each shoot. I dont like to copy unedited files at import to a 2nd drive location. I normally keep the images on my CF/SD cards untill Im sure I have a full set edited in lightroom. To backup I backup my lightroom catalog onto a separate drive at each exit. However I also like to backup the catalog and the negitive raw files for each folder (shoot) just to be on the safe side. These folders or mini catalogs are saved to my drobo drive labeled A: Now here is the problem I'm having.

I want to clear up space on my drive C: I try to drag and drop the selected folder from C: into A: I get a message telling me the files are already located on the drive A: Which is correct because I exported them there with the negatives as a backup. However they do not show up in lightroom under the folders listed in the drive A: ???

If I select drag and drop a folder from (C: to A:) that I have not exported with negatives to the A drive lightroom simply moves as needed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that you are putting yourself through a lot of extra gymnastics for very little benefit. All of those "edited" images that you are worrying about in Lightroom are literally untouched. All of the adjustments are stored in the catalog or in XMP files if you are using that option in Lightroom. The images themselves are always in their original state. So you never have to set of edited images. But Lightroom will not recognize that drive A. If you could change the letter to Z, or some other letter lower in the alphabet then you can use it in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize the only the edits are saved in xmp files. However When I export from lightroom I am saving the raw files and a xmp file in each folder. If something should happen and I lose the main catalog containing the xmp files. I can always look to the exported folder that contains my images in raw format and find the xmp files for only those images. Seem worth it to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coryl41476198  wrote

I realize the only the edits are saved in xmp files. However When I export from lightroom I am saving the raw files and a xmp file in each folder. If something should happen and I lose the main catalog containing the xmp files. I can always look to the exported folder that contains my images in raw format and find the xmp files for only those images. Seem worth it to me?

There's a lot of confusion in this discussion.

You seem to want to clear up space on the C: drive, and you want to do this by using photos on your A: drive. This can be done, as I described, by "moving" the photos from the C: drive to the A: drive (when done properly, as described in the link I provided) -- although I'm still not convinced you can do this using the A: drive -- but then you don't have backups!!! You now only have one set of photos on the A: drive. And you MUST have backups on a different physical disk than your A: drive.

So, if you are going to "move" the photos from C: to A:, now your "master" copy is on the A: drive, used by Lightroom, and the backups must be somewhere else, a different disk. You can make backups outside of Lightroom, using your operating system, by copying all of your photos to another disk, or better yet, using an automated third-party software that will make backups automatically and at some constant interval of time.

Also, the xmp files are not in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand I wont have a backup as you state. Once I move files to my drobo drive A: I would be backing them up onto a completely different drive. I just dont like backing up my images at import as I like to cue and delete the raw images before backing them up. I find importing them to lightroom, deleting the junk and exporting them along with the xmp files into a separate catalog using lightroom works for me. I'll give the link you provided a read. I appreciate your help very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by dj_paige and JimHess you are doing a lot of unnecessary work.

There is no need to export to a different catalog - having more than one catalog is not recommended - Lightroom can only open one catalog at a time, and if you only have one, all your work is available without having to relaunch with a different catalog,

As for backups - all you need to do is to back up the originals using the operating system or backup software, and let Lightroom handle the catalog backups

Xmp files are usually not required, and they are only created if you instruct Lightroom to create them. (this is done in Catalog settings) Regardless of xmp settings, your edits are always saved to the catalog.

Here's another link you may find useful: Lightroom basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coryl41476198  wrote

I want to clear up space on my drive C: I try to drag and drop the selected folder from C: into A: I get a message telling me the files are already located on the drive A: Which is correct because I exported them there with the negatives as a backup. However they do not show up in lightroom under the folders listed in the drive A: ???

Exporting as a catalog does not cause the photos that have been included in this export to be shown in Lightroom. Nor is there any point to doing so. You don't keep "backups" in Lightroom. By default, you cannot have the same photo twice in Lightroom.

If you want to "move" the photos from your C: drive to your A: drive, the way to do this is explained in this document, Please scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 -- Updating Folder Location". Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using B: in win 7 pro and Win 10 pro for years. I keep my LR catalog and previews on that drive. Works great. It's a Samsung 840 500 GB.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes you get lucky and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines