Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly pixelated previews

New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've Googled quite a bit but can't find a solution to this that works for me. Suddenly all of my After Effects projects with imported .AI files the layers all pixelate when I increase the comp size in the preview frame. These had previously worked fine and looked pixel-perfect when scaled up. Now they're basically unusable and so i can't really character rig at all atm.

I've looked into CPU/GPU enabling but nothing should have changed so I don't think this would be the answer (also I think my graphics cards are on-board so would just be CPU?). I'm running AE on two laptops (a Mac and Windows. on my Windows laptop I now get a "Display acceleration disabled" message overlay, but not on Mac). I've tried changing the quality and sampling for each layer but to no avail.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

You probably have the preview set to adaptive resolution.   Don't post cropped images like that. They're useless.  Also read this FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a. have you check that the AI layers have the "continuously rasterize" checkbox ticked?

b. is your comp window's preview resolution set to "full"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi foughtthelaw, thanks for your reply.

I've checked both and there doesn't seem to be any difference, still pixelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't sound right.  Increasing the comp size over 100% in the preview frame WILL and SHOULD cause you images to pixelate.  There's nothing unusual about that if that's what you actually meant when you said you were increasing the size of the comp in the preview window.   What doesn't make sense is that fact that you say this is what you have done in the past and it was always pixel perfect.   So one of those two statements can't be correct. Provide a screenshots of your app window & details about your workflow.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there... having a similar problem. I'm working with vectors from Illustrator and the static preview from the timeline is super pixelated. But when I hit the space bar and see the motion preview, it looks fine.   Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts?  Yes, they're posted above.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!  So the pixelation is not caused by increasing the size of a comp. It's just a preview problem. Attached images show:  1. static image,   and 2. when I hit the spacebar, suddenly it cleans up!Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 12.59.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.00.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have the preview set to adaptive resolution.   Don't post cropped images like that. They're useless.  Also read this FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum? 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was it! ... big thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines