• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating links to other topics very slow

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2008 Oct 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have RH 7 and when creating links from one topic to another it takes a long time for the dialog boxes to appear. I have about 10 links per topic and at three minutes per link, that's a lot of time. Thanks, Becky

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky.

Rule No.1 is never run your RH project from a network drive. Is your desktop truly local or part of the network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My desktop is truly local, which is where the working folder of my project is. When I publish for webhelp, the output files are on a network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky,

It is indeed a lot of time. How many topics do you have in your project? I have seen slow performance loading the dialog for inserting images, when the number of images in a project gets large, but never with links.

This is likely a resource issue with Windows. Do you see similar problems with other programs? Do you have a lot of other programs running? And do you have any resource hogs like Google toolbar? If you close other things do you see an improvement?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using RH HTML or RH for Word?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perforce and ClearCase (source control tools) often don't play well with RH, depending on how your IT peeps have it set up.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your responses. The project has 1000 topics that represent 30 chapters of a manual. There's not any source control software used. I'm using Robohelp HTML. I don't run any other programs when I'm using Robohelp; I have 1GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive.

What is causing it to take so long to insert links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky. I'm popping in here because this was happening to me recently - and all I did to resolve it was to rebuild the CPD file. I renamed it in the project directory (renamed accounting.cpd to accounting.old) and then reopened the project. It took several minutes to rebuild the file, but then building links and moving files, creating new folders - all the stuff the CPD file keeps an eye on - went much more smoothly.

I usually keep an eye on the size of the CPD file. It it jumps all of a sudden, that's also a clue that the file is getting bloated and should be rebuilt.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky

In addition to LMarden's fine advice, I might also ask exactly how you are creating your links. If you have been selecting text, then opening the Hyperlink dialog you may find it much quicker to use the drag and drop method. Using that method involves simply locating the topic you wish to link to over in your Project Manager pane. Then clicking the topic and dragging it from there to the selected text to establish the link.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing is to use a real folder under your hard drive not a folder in My documents..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...which reminds me that someone mentioned awhile ago that some IT peeps like to store your My Documents stuff in a "virtual folder" on a network (those sneaky rascals!).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2008 Nov 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm having the same, or a similar, problem. I'm trying to insert lots (more than a thousand) of help jumps into a Word 2007 document and it's taking a minute or so per topic. I'm running on a laptop with an electronic disk. I don't see any CPD files to delete. I tried dragging a help topic from my project window to the Word document, but that didn't seem to do anything. Something I thought would work, but whch didn't, was to create the links as Word 2007 links (which is fast), then do a conversion and convert links to help jumps. I still haven't figured out why that didn't work. If there are any other suggestions, that would be appreciated.

William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp