• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I Can't Move A Layer, it switches back to another Layer when I start to drag it...

Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of my layers (unlocked) will not move, when I click on them to drag and move them, the program switches to selecting another layer and it moves instead.

[Moved to Photoshop based on other discussions... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Sounds like a Photoshop question?

With the Move tool selected toggle on and off the 'Auto Select Layer' box to see which one works the way you want. By what you are saying I'd say you want it checked. But try both.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 3.43.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a Photoshop question?

With the Move tool selected toggle on and off the 'Auto Select Layer' box to see which one works the way you want. By what you are saying I'd say you want it checked. But try both.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 3.43.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much!  even struggling to find a proper search term for the problem and now i found your solution ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in Photoshop, check the settings that you have for Auto-Select... are you on layer or group? Do you have multiple layers in a group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly sounds like you are fighting Auto-Select (as per both Brad and cmgap). In recent versions, this is now on as a default (it has always defaulted to off in past versions) so it's catching those who recently upgraded by surprise.

Both of their screen shots show you how to disable it—select the Move tool, then head up to the Options bar and just uncheck it. This will restore the behavior that you are used to:

1. First select a layer in the Layers panel
  2. Then drag your mouse on the image to move the selected layer

Once you feel like things are normal again, you might experiment with turning it back on. I love using it when I am shifting a bunch of layers around because I can make a layer active by just clicking it with my mouse. In any other situation, I keep it unchecked.

One more note: the Options bar uses a sticky state, meaning once it's on it stays on, and once it's off it stays off. If you really don't like it, uncheck it and you all good to go. (Until you end up deleting your preferences, which resets the defaults and turns it back on again!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everybody.

I found it, this worked perfectly.  Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This helped me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer was very useful, Thank you.

It staggers me how stupid Adobe can be changing defaults without explaination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines