Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HHC Files - Variables Question

Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using RoboHelp HTML 11 on a Windows 7 machine. I'm taking a look at the insides of my project's HHC file and have a question about some of its contents.

In many of the topic titles, I'm using User Defined Variables to control a product name. When I open the HHC in a text editor to view its contents, I notice that the variables used are always followed by some numbers. For example:

<item name="Topic Name" link="TopicFileName.htm" variable="Sample_Name,0,14,"></item>

For the same variable, the numbers are mostly consistent throughout the file but there are a few instances where the numbers are different.

Out of curiosity, what do these numbers following my variables within the HHC file indicate?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Okay, I believe I've sussed out the meanings.

Take a look at the image below.

1.png

In this image the value of state is MO. As you can see on line 9, the word "Absentee" is listed. And if you add the space, that would consume nine characters. So we now have 9, 2. With the two indicating the number of characters the variable now contains.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I did some poking around and here's what I'm seeing. I created a variable and named it state. The value is Ohio. And I created a second variable and named it City. Its value is Cleveland.

Here is the TOC innards:

1.png

I note that the lines holding the state variable show a 4. Which seems to coincide nicely with the number of letters in Ohio. And the City variable shows a 9, which, oddly coincides with the number of letters in Cleveland. So my guess for the varying numbers highlighted in the image above is that it's kind of a checksum or something to that effect to track how many characters the variable value contain.

As for the leading 0, I don't have any explanation quite yet.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I believe I've sussed out the meanings.

Take a look at the image below.

1.png

In this image the value of state is MO. As you can see on line 9, the word "Absentee" is listed. And if you add the space, that would consume nine characters. So we now have 9, 2. With the two indicating the number of characters the variable now contains.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huh, such a simple answer. I have two sets of Single Source Layouts that I generate and my team mates were thinking the numbers had something to do with that and we never would've guessed that it's a simple count of the characters. Thank you very much for your help, Rick!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp