• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting a small PSD-logo in indesign doubles the size of the PDF...

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a layout in indesign and when I make a PDF it's about 5MB in filesize (high quality setting). . Now when I put a psd with logo in it (300 DPI - 4 cm x 1 cm) and make the same PDF with the same settings... filesize goes up to 13 MB.  When the logo is copied in indesign..filesize of the PDF goes up even higher to 27MB...
When I remove the logo..filesize is back to 5Mb.

tried copy and pasting the logo in a new file... tried saving as png and even jpg...etc... the pdf filesize stays abnormally large.

this is the psd file btw:  http://download.artattack.be/UZLykD3

When you put this logo in an empty indesign file...and make a pdf. the size is about 7 MB (on high quality settings).

any idea why this thing is making my pdf's so large? it doesn't make sense...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You are not going to believe what I found in your PSD file!

The file you posted was 4.62 megabytes in size. The reality is that over 4 megabytes of that file was XMP metadata that recorded the history of file edits made on that image.

I eliminated virtually all that useless metadata, losslessly maintaining all the original image data, and the resultant .PSD file is only 267 kilobytes!!!

(There is no built-in tool for clearing the metadata in Photoshop, but if you losslessly save the .PSD f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question really has nothing to do with Acrobat Printing & Prepress issues, but rather, PDF export from InDesign.

Moving this topic to the InDesign forum.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not going to believe what I found in your PSD file!

The file you posted was 4.62 megabytes in size. The reality is that over 4 megabytes of that file was XMP metadata that recorded the history of file edits made on that image.

I eliminated virtually all that useless metadata, losslessly maintaining all the original image data, and the resultant .PSD file is only 267 kilobytes!!!

(There is no built-in tool for clearing the metadata in Photoshop, but if you losslessly save the .PSD file as a .PDF file that can be re-edited in Photoshop, you can use the Save as Optimized PDF function in Acrobat Pro to strip away the metadata - don't resample or remove anything else! I opened the resultant PDF file in Photoshop and resaved as a .PSD file.)

Try the attached .PSD file and see if that solves your problem a little bit. Let us know if that helps! 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. removing the metadata solved the problem. PDF size went from 27MB to 5MB. it seems they included the whole history log in the logo which is unnecessary for us. Strange that when you make a PDF, the PSD metadata has such an impact on the PDF filesize.
Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines