Exit

Smart filter not transposing across smart objects

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work with three files to compose a template:

1. A JPG picture file (which gets changed)
  2. One PSD where I apply basic transformations to the JPG (1) as a smart object, such as masking and smart filters.
  3. One final PSD template where I include the first PSD as a linked object (2.)

The problem is that the final document (3.) does not reflect the smart filter applied in the “intermediate” PSD (2.) although it takes into account the masking.

First PSD (2.) :

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 00.29.10.png

The Blur is present as well as the masking:

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 00.29.13.png

Final PSD:

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 00.32.15.png

The masking from the smart object is present but not the gaussian blur smart filter:

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 00.34.17.png

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: the reason I want to apply to gaussian blur through a smart object is to get sharp edges in the final document

PSS: I tried to rasterize the layer in 2. and it works, but I want to use a smart object because the original JPEG (1.) will be changed on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the smart object layer your first PSD the Placed Jpeg file  and you open that PSD 1 an replace the smart object layer content with some other jpeg the same size and resolution.  Is the something in place that will  to open the second PSD 2  when PSD 1 is saved with the replaced object for Photoshop to see that the documents link smart object PSD 1  has change to have Photoshop update the smart object layer. If Photoshop update the smart object object  PSD 1 how can the layer not be like PSD 1 that has the replaced jpeg and the smart blur.  How can the layer have the replaced image and not the blur.  The only way I can think of is some how when you replace the image in PSD 1 you turned off the visibility of the smart blur filter.  Check PSD1 see if it is currently blured or not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I can do anything else on the first picture it gets transposed to the final file, except smart filters. I found a workaround by duplicating the smart object in the first document and rasterizing it, but it drives me crazy that the smart filter won't transpose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I rolled back to 18.1.0 and it now works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots that show both images open at the same time (as non-tabbed windows) and the pertinent Panels (Layers, Properties, …) to illustrate the process, because I cannot reproduce the issue. 

Are Layer Comps involved? 

Are you sure you saved the linked SO (your screenshot does not indicate this due to clipping)?

UPDATE: I rolled back to 18.1.0 and it now works...

Which exact version of Photoshop are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the latest version (18.1.1) and I rolled back to 18.1.0. The issue was apparently a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is at

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.1.1 20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00 CL 1113967  x64

so I am not quite sure what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the latest one: CC 2017.1.1 (18.1.1 or 20170425.r.252) and I rolled back to the one before that (CC 2017.1.0 (18.1.0 or 20170309.r.207))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I mentioned I could not reproduce the issue on 2017.1.1 (on Mac OS 10.12.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas

I cannot reproduce that here on CC2017.1.1(r252)  and Windows 10 (v1703).

Any update to the smart filter is reproduced in the second PSD as soon as the first PSD is saved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for double-checking. Since rolling back by one version worked, I'll stick to that for now and wait for the next update 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines