• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Panasonic GH5 MOV files not working in Premiere

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just received my GH5 and started testing the different formats yesterday.  The MOV 4096x2160, 23.98p 422/10bit/LonGop 150mps LPCM is causing Premiere to crash. The mp4 3840x2160 ,23.98p 420/8bit/LongGOP 100mbs LPCM works fine.  I'm using the latest version of Premiere.

Thanks,

Chance Norris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Hi chancenorris,

We're working on adding support for GH5 10-bit files in an upcoming update. Stay tuned

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, I'm jealous of the troubles you're having!

I wonder though if for now, something that might work would be using AME for transcoding that long-GOP into intraframe, perhaps the DNxHR codec. Long-GOP is hard enough on the CPU/RAM and cores/threads in FHD ... 4k just blows so much work on the CPU.

That's my only reservation looking over the GH5 info as it's come out, that it would stay long-GOP for 4k output.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Transcoding to DNxHR is definitely going to be part of the workflow.

Thanks,

Chance

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally recommend avoiding QuickTime whenever possible.

Thankfully with the GH4 and 5, it's possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chancenorris,

We're working on adding support for GH5 10-bit files in an upcoming update. Stay tuned

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the actual update it had worked in previous versions.

So: Frist removing support and after the users had to wait,  Adobe will add the support for GH5 10-bit files again ?!

very bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't "just" Adobe. On another very pro-level forum, I've just seen discussions that show the 10-bit 4:2:2 files even in 1080p have bugs in the way the GH5 records them to card, and therefore produce the same results in PrPro, Avid, Resolve, Vegas, and several other NLE and/or grading apps.

A number of users have posted bugs with Panny over this ... but they can be harder to convince that something needs fixing than Adobe.

And there's also discussions ongoing on some other oddities in the 4k and similar settings at any bit-depth.

You could imagine a number of very disappointed GH5 users there ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a project in Premiere with GH5 10bit Material - without problems - before I made an update.

Now I have to wait for Adobe (during I pay my abo) until they manage it, that it will work again in an upcoming update.

I don´t want all this additional apps - I want a solid and fast Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, we all want solid & fast. But you also want that new camera working perfectly ... so they ​have​ to change some things. The particular settings you used may have worked fine ​for you​ in the older version, but for many others, that version did ​not​ work with the GH5. So ... they had to try and make changes to please the GH5 user base.

Panasonic, like the drone manufacturers, is trying to get a ​massive​ amount of data compressed and written to card ​fast​. They're doing things that are on the flipping edge of possible settings in the standards for codecs. Or ... a little past.

Certainly well outside what any manufacturer has ever done before.

That's causing a ton of issues for all the major video post programs. Some are working ok with this under that circumstance on this type of system ... but as far as I can tell from numerous pro forums, ​none​ of the programs simply work with all media produced by the GH5. Many users are discussing which transcoding apps they've made to work to get it into a standard implementation so they can just use it ... and they are not pleased at needing to go that far just to use the camera.

If no one has the camera "nailed", it isn't just that Adobe's being stupid, however frustrating it is for any of us. And yes, I've been on the "outside" with a camera before and know exactly how frustrating it is.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a free videoplayer-software can handle the GH5-material, why will it be so hard for Adobe to read this files?

Adobe told us, that one reason for this abo-modell will be fast updates.

HEVC/H265 ... now H264/10bit ... I not even say something about the HEVC-6k-420-10bit from GH5 ...

For me it´s a simple basic, that material from actual cameras are supported.

Resolve 14 ... where are similar improvements from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve isn't handling all GH5 media for a lot or users either. None of the major apps is handling GH5 for everyone ... or even a significant section. And the 6k from the GH5 is simply buggy out of the camera. I know of bug reports that have been filed with Panny over this ... not that anyone is holding their breath. Some major Resolve users are all over Panasonic about this poor output and response. It will take a firmware update to get that going properly across the board.

R-14 does have some great updates, no question. And it's pushing for Adobe to up their game, which is all good, right?

That said, R-14 is still an awesome grading app with a now ... decent ... editing capability. For many small projects, it's probably got enough editing "tricks" to get by. And the ability to do editing and grading in a single app ... and now with some ok sound capabilities also ... is what "we" thought was happening with the linking of PrPro & SpeedGrade. But which became un-linked in Adobe-sphere when they dropped the connection to SpeedGrade.

But discussing a video player's playback capabilities with any NLE ... it's comparing planets & oranges, just silly. Simple playback is very much simpler than what an NLE does ... think about it. A player just takes one file, and sends it through the CPU for decompression and off to the monitor.

An NLE ... takes bits & pieces of many files virtually simultaneously ... from the cuts & joins that have been made; applies transitions & effects with many options each to the separate clips and some to the entire sequence; throws in all the graphics & special effects also applied only in code ... takes all this, and tries to put it into viewable form for playback as fast as the player just passes one file on.

To completely dismantle & reassemble the media as an NLE does requires a far greater "understanding" of the media involved. Always has.

And yea, it's frustrating as heck to not have this working with new tools. The GH5 is something I've been drooling over. I know one of the reps, and have had a few discussions with him directly. I know some other users. The "4" wasn't enough to get me to upgrade from my "3" ... but the "5", completely working ... that would be something I'd have to jump to. Among all the cameras at NAB, the GH5 was for me the most interesting.

I'm still bummed that the GH3's All-I setting is so freaking noisy. That's a major reason I jumped for that camera, and to find that in general there was so much more noise in the All-I settings than the best-Mbps of other settings ... that it was actually better to use the non All-I. I kept hoping that would get fixed in an update, but that clearly will never happen. Ah well.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil or others:

Before the actual update it had worked in previous versions.

What is the explanation for this? Does a roll back work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some types of media from a GH5 worked in the previous version. Mostly ... for some people. But not for a ton of others.

Unfortunately the same can be said now ... so the changes made to attempt to get it working simply moved around who was trashed and who could limp along with maybe one or two output types from the camera.

It really is a bummer for users of a camera that promises a ton for a modest price, but is proving dang hard for software folks to work with. I want one of 'em also. So I do follow this with more than casual interest!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Resolve 12.5 I can work with the GH5-Files - even with 6k/HEVC/10bit.

I meen, if a simple videoplayer can generate images from the GH5-videos, why is it such difficult for Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know of a number of folks with R-14 who cannot work properly with the 6k, and can show that the implementation in the camera is broken ... quite well documented. As noted above.

Sorry if the difference between a player and an NLE is not getting through ... that's been thoroughly answered. Essentially, a player only has to guess sort of how to read a file and send ​something​ to the monitor; and if it's somewhat close, who's going to notice it ain't accurate? An NLE has to be able to ​precisely​ handle bits & pieces dissected & re-assembled, then modified heavily. If you think those are actually the same ... sorry, can't help.

Again ... none of the NLE's are working perfectly with all of the GH5's output modes that I can see in visiting discussion boards. And ... again as noted above ... some people could work part of the GH5 output in the last PrPro version, and the update mangled their ability to use ... but others who hadn't been able to use GH5 media with the previous version can use some of it with this one.

The GH5's method of compressing data to card isn't bleeding edge, it's mangled edge. And I'm as eager as anyone else for both Panny and ​all​ the video post apps to get this thing just working. For everyone.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Waiting eagerly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have problems with 1080-mov-files in 8 bit from the GH5.

Some clips looking this way for some seconds:

Bildfehler_GH5_Material0.jpg

Does anybody fighting with the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines