• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop PDF from saving a copy on hard drive?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a PDF form online or as an attachment, it automatically saves a copy of it on my hard drive. How can this be stopped?! I am running Chrome and have Adobe Reader DC installed on my laptop.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order for a PDF file to be displayed it must first be saved on the local computer. That can't be avoided.

What sometimes happens is that the browser saves the file into a temporary folder and then opens it automatically, so you're not prompted to save it in a specific folder. That depends on the settings of each browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no way to change it, can I change which folder it adds a copy in? I don't like that it it making a copy in my Documents folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, but again, this is a setting of the browser you're using.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 6:34 PM, caseystab26 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here, for instance, is the instruction for changing the download location in Chrome. Download a file - Computer - Google Chrome Help

You'll find similar instructions for other browsers if you search Google for "change download location [browser name]".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines