• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search for an effect within a project in order to reveal the layer it is on?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a rather large project, literally thousands of layers and multiple projects that have been imported into one large single master project.

Within that project I have an instance of trapcode's particular and star glow somewhere that I am no longer using and would like to locate and remove completely from the project.

Is there a way to locate via a search option the effect or plugin I am looking for so I can locate the layer within the comp and turn it off? I don't think there is a way natively in AE ? I have heard of scripts or plugins that can do this.

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

I don't know of an easy way to do that natively.

You can see what effects are used in a Collect Files report, you can search for effects in a specific composition, and you can search across the whole project for your footage.

However, you can also search across your project for missing effects and here comes the way to do it natively: remove your Particular and Star Glow effects from your AE install, restart AE, open your project, and search for Missing Effects in your project panel. DONE!

It woul

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of an easy way to do that natively.

You can see what effects are used in a Collect Files report, you can search for effects in a specific composition, and you can search across the whole project for your footage.

However, you can also search across your project for missing effects and here comes the way to do it natively: remove your Particular and Star Glow effects from your AE install, restart AE, open your project, and search for Missing Effects in your project panel. DONE!

It would be a lot easier to get the PT Effect Search script. Although, I would highly recommend getting the PT Search and Edit bundle because it has tools for dealing with text and expressions in addition to effects. And it's at a discount over buying them separately. I have found all three to be quite handy when dealing with large projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam  wrote

Actually, not done, you'd also want to put the two plugin files back into your AE install once you've deleted the references to them from your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else wanting to do this... You don't need to completely remove the effect. You can go to Effects > Manage Effects then turn off the effects in there, restart AE, search for Missing Effects, and then delete them from the project. Re-enable the effect and restart AE again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, on machines ( i.e. my render farm ) that don't have those plugins installed I am able to search from missing effects in a number of the ways you mentioned. What I can't seem to do though is once I find out what is missing ( in this case particular and star glow  ). I want to be able to locate the layer within my project that that effect is on and delete it.

Not a huge problem, and I saw an paid plugin or script in the past that could do this, but I was wondering if natively there was a way. Luckily through the After Effects Deadline client I can choose it to "ignore missing effects references" so I don't error out on the render farm. But it would be nice to have a 'reveal in composition' like feature when trying to locate a specific effect as you can with footage.

I'll keep looking, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tips from Szalam seems solid...but wondering if there's a way to search/find the effect in comps/layers that's built-in as part of subsequent CC updates?  Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

old reply, I know but there is a script by Paul Tuersely called pt_EffectSearch that does precisely this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines