• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page turn effect is moving in reverse order.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have buttons and I have assigned the buttons actions. Turn to "go to next page", "go to previous page". When I open and preview the file the page turn effect works, the buttons go to the correct password, BUT the page turn effect goes in the opposite direction when turning the page forward.  So to clarify when I click the go to next page button, cover>page1/page2>page3/page4, going from page 2 to page 3 the page turn effect occurs but the effect looks as if it is going from cover to 1/2. It goes to the correct page but just the effect looks as if it moves in the opposite direction.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What page turning effect? What file format? Where are you viewing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in InDesign I have a multiple page (think book or magazine layout) document.  I placed arrow buttons on the document and assigned their actions to "move to next page" for the forward arrow and "move to previous page" for the back arrow.  I also have designated the page transition to be the "page turn" effect. I then saved the file and exported it as a .swf file, as that is the only type of file that the "page turn" effect works with.  I then drop the .swf file into either Muse or Dreamweaver and save again, viewing the new file in either google chrome or internet explorer/edge.  The interface appears, the buttons appear, and when I click on the buttons they do take me to the correct page.  However, the "page turn" effect is reversed.  So instead of it appearing to turn the page forward, as one would do when reading a book, it turns the page backward, so going from the current page to the previous page. So the page I end up on IS correct but the "page turn" effect is backward or reversed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First point. Stop using SWF. It's a dead end that will not work on mobile nor will it work on any desktop without flash player installed.

Second point. I don't really have one without know what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would stop using .swf but it's the only option for creating the page turn effect quickly and easily. Otherwise I'm looking at what I can only assume is weeks worth of coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a gimmick! Focus on what's important, the content!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could consider using an online PDF publishing service like Issuu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look into that thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page flipping is old hat and becomes irritating after a while, but if you must have a look at facilities like this:

Convert PDF Files Into Mobile Friendly & Media Rich Page flip eBooks - Flip PDF Professional

In addition to ISSUU have a look at MAG+ Mag+ | Digital publishing and app software

https://www.magplus.com/

And, as Bob said, there's no point in using SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I am using it is because that is the only option for the effect.  Unfortunately, I am just the person putting the document together not the one making the decision on what transitions should be used.  When I bring the .swf file into dreamweaver of muse and re-save it then become .html which is how the end users will be viewing it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect. That’s like saying placing a JPG will turn it into HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of digital “solutions” to producing content. Unfortunately there's not one “correct” solution – each format has advantages (features) and disadvantages. Customers often specify something without realising the implications. Our job maybe to get them to define more precisely what they're after and to educate them as to what is realistic for us to be able to produce, bearing in mind also the needs of the end-user, timing, the budget and our skills!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

k.c.a71536885  wrote

Unfortunately, I am just the person putting the document together not the one making the decision on what transitions should be used.

Then I sympathize. It's hard to believe someone could still want the animated page turn. Anyone who does has never had to endure actually using a document deployed this way to a meaningful end, let alone waste their time seeking a straightforward way to set it up (which doesn't exist). I can only imagine they saw it once ...maybe 8-10 years ago...and wrongly decided it's so slick they must have it forever. And now they apparently stay too far out of touch to notice that the real world has moved on from the silly, meaningless gimmick.

At some point, you might want to mention to the decision maker that the effect is passé, unprofessional, and difficult to achieve or execute in an elegant manner because it was never worth anyone's time to make it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
When I bring the .swf file into dreamweaver of muse and re-save it then become .html which is how the end users will be viewing it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Just to clarify, when you export to Flash a .swf along with an .html wrapper file are exported. To play the swf in a browser, the exported HTML file loads the embedded swf and plays it via a plugin. You can embed the swf in your own Dreamweaver HTML wrapper but in either case the swf object needs to be an available asset loaded via an HTML page and plugin. Without the plugin the swf will not play, which includes almost any mobile device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines