• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden problem reading files.

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Lightroom for nearly 5 years, first Lightroom 4 and now 6 for about a year, I can no longer easily import my images (RAW or jpeg) into Lightroom. This is what happens: the first time I start importing, some the images are successfully imported, but I then get a pop up window telling me Lightroom cannot read the remaining files. If i restart both my camera and Lightroom and import again, a few more images may be imported,but the rest "cannot be read." If I access the camera's memory card through the computer, i can copy and paste the files into the appropriate folder and then import them into my catalogue. With 100 images or more (or even less) this is a major inconvenienc. Why has this all of a sudden happened? More important what can be done? Even my iPad has no problem importing, reading and editing RAW files, which can be edited with the Lightroom app on my iPad. But that's not a solutio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

99% of the time, a "cannot be read" problem is actually a WRITE permissions problem.

In the LR Import dialog, open the Destination panel and verify that it is pointing to where you expect. (Often the mere opening of the panel solves the problem for some reason.)

Then using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder, navigate to the destination folder and verify that you have READ and WRITE access to the folder and its parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your computer is losing contact with the camera. I suggest you buy a card reader and stop connecting the camera directly to the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a card reader and took 14 photos in RAW files to test it. Lightroom successfully imported 11 (eleven) of the 14 files. Three files could not be imported. I then put the card into my camera (Canon 60D) and tried to import the three remaining photos. Lightroom properly identified the three remaining photos that had not been imported (showing each image in the preview screen, just as it had done with the images successfully imported.). Lightroom still failed to import these three images. I then switched back to the card reader and then copied and pasted the last remaining RAW files into the appropriate folder in my Lightroom catalog. After doing this, I used Lightroom to "import" these three images into the catalog with the remaining 11 images, thereby completing the full import successfully---but still more problematic than I would want if importing a large number of files.

I was able to edit the images that Lightroom did not initially import with Lightroom and then, as is my routine, send the image to Photo Elements where i perform a few more edits.

Why is this still happening?

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you try a different memory card and do some more tests. They go bad just like everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed memory cards with my recent test because my newest card first exhibited the problem. That newer card is not very old.

I have been using Lightroom without a problem for years. Then, out of the blue, this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did an uninstall and reinstall of Lightroom. That did not work. I tried to download 138 images today. 77 images were successfully downloaded through a card reader. Then, I opened the EOS Utility program that came with my camera and connected my camera to my computer. I then successfully downloaded all 138 images into the appropriate folder of my catalog where the 77 images were. I then used Lightroom to import the remaining images into the catalog. This works, but seems rather awkward. There has got to be a better solution....no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting any error messages? If so, what are they (exact wording)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I get a pop-up window that identifies those files (RAW image files) that were not imported because the could not be read. These same image files, once imported with my EOS utility can in fact be read and edited by Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

99% of the time, a "cannot be read" problem is actually a WRITE permissions problem.

In the LR Import dialog, open the Destination panel and verify that it is pointing to where you expect. (Often the mere opening of the panel solves the problem for some reason.)

Then using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder, navigate to the destination folder and verify that you have READ and WRITE access to the folder and its parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines