• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Questions about history brush

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some questions about the history brush.

So I understand that the source data for the history brush comes from an earlier point in time as selected in the history list (or "undo box" I used to call it). I'm not clear on what **layer** provides the source data. When I paint on layer X, is the **same layer**  as it previously existed **always** the source data? What if layer X didn't exist at that earlier time and I want to use some other layer, say layer Y, as the source data? Am I out of luck?

I had in mind a project that would involve taking layer X, altering it by a filter to produce layer Y, then painting on X, with Y as the source. That's backward history, however. Possible with history brush?

My project could be done **non-destructively*** by arranging the order of layers to put Y above X, putting a mask on Y and choosing a blending mode, and painting into the mask.

Which then begs the question, is the history brush merely a **destructive** method, limited in scope, of something that could be done non-destructively and more generally via layers? If so, what good is it other than saving memory?

Final question is about the art history brush. This seems to be Photoshop's attempt to simulate some kinds of painting. But these are two separate ideas. (1) simulating brushstrokes and (2) accessing history are not tightly coupled ideas. So that begs the question if there's any other way of simulating brush strokes in Photoshop that is more generally applicable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which then begs the question, is the history brush merely a **destructive** method, limited in scope, of something that could be done non-destructively and more generally via layers?

For the most part I would say that is indeed the case.

Final question is about the art history brush. This seems to be Photoshop's attempt to simulate some kinds of painting. But these are two separate ideas. (1) simulating brushstrokes and (2) accessing history are not tightly coupled ideas. So that begs the question if there's any other way of simulating brush strokes in Photoshop that is more generally applicable.

Accessing History Data allows to use pre-determined colors while painting without having to constantly sample them anew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to c.pfaffenbilchers reply

You can use the history brush to paint "Backwards history" if you enable "Allow non Linear History" in the history panel options.

However for the project you describe I would do it with layers and masking.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm still interested in the following:

- does the history or art history brush always take, as the source data, the ***same layer*** I'm painting on (in its earlier state)?

- is there any other way to produce "art strokes" than taking a historic layer as the source?

- also another question: I can't seem to find very much configuration in the art history brush: I wasn't too happy with the look I was getting, and I hoped to find configuration elements where I could change many things about the size, type of brush, movement patterns, repetition patterns, etc. but I can't find anything other than the most basic choices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- does the history or art history brush always take, as the source data, the ***same layer*** I'm painting on (in its earlier state)?

Yes.

- also another question: I can't seem to find very much configuration in the art history brush: I wasn't too happy with the look I was getting, and I hoped to find configuration elements where I could change many things about the size, type of brush, movement patterns, repetition patterns, etc. but I can't find anything other than the most basic choices

Could you be specific about what you are trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your objective to make natural media simulations from photographs using the Art History brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A while back a colleague of mine brought up editing an image to be represented with squares (other shapes would naturally work, too) and Art History Brush seemed to provide an approach.

This is practically the opposite of what you seem to be after, but it should illustrate that the Tool does offer some options and one can utilise Pen Pressure on some.

artHistoryBrushTest_MarilynMonroeScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines