• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set image resolution between 4MP & 100MP for Adobe Stock Submission

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be simple - I know the Image Size selection shows Resolution - is that where I set it?  Most everything I read says that should be 300 - do I just change it to 100?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case it means total pixels. It has nothing to do with the ppi print resolution.

Multiply the Width in Pixels x Height in Pixels

Note if you use the Image Size dialogue you can divide the top number (Image Size) by 3 for an 8 bit mode image and by 6 for a 16 bit mode image and get the same result

8 bit 1024 x 1024 = 1048576 = 1 MP

16 bit 1024 x 1024 -1048576 = 1MP

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Thanks for the response.  I have been doing some reading now that you gave me a start - I looked at a couple of my .jpg images.  One is 7360 X 4912 = 36MP, so it fits the 4MP to 100MP requirement.  Another is 5599 X 4096 = 22MP

From the images I checked, it looks like my .jpg images I create from the original NEF I take in camera will fall within the 4MP to 100MP range, and I can control file size by the image quality slider when I save the .jpg    Am I understanding correctly? 

I wonder how I would change the pixels to increase the MP of the image?  Like the image above that is 5599 X 4096 - if I for some reason want to change it to 7360 X 4912 - can I leave resampling on and do that?  What are the inherent dangers if I do that? 

I used to have several outlets to sell my photos back in the days of film - it has easily been 15 or so years ago.  I have never delved into how to sell my digital images.  If I put images on Adobe Stock - do they watermark it or in some way render it unusable until someone pays for it?  Any words of wisdom you can share? 

Again - Thank You.  I really appreciate your input. 

- Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck

I don't sell stock but can answer some of your questions.

Familiarize yourself with these submission guidelines before you begin to submit content to Adobe St...

1. Don't resize the images, if they fall within the size guidelines ( yours do) . By resampling you will introduce artifacts that will be emphasised further by the final user when they size them for their use.

2. Whilst you could use the jpeg out of the camera - you may (probably will   ) get better results from processing RAW files in ACR/Lightroom. Apply a little sharpening in the RAw conversion but not heavy (and none to camera jpegs). Over sharpened images look awful and do not take well to further resizing by the user. Make sure they are well exposed and sharply focussed (unless blur is intentional).

3. Use Save for Web (Legacy) to export your image as a jpeg . Ensure that "Convert to sRGB"  and "Embed color profile" are both checked.  Set the jpeg quality to the highest you can get away with whilst keeping the filesize below the 45Mbytes limit (note that limit is the exported file size not the image pixel size as in your first question.

4. You can check the Adobe stock site - Watermarked (with the words Adobe Stock) images are available for preview download until paid for.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Thanks a million for sharing your knowledge.

If I dare ask one more question - you say you do not sell stock. Are you a Studio guy selling

work to clients or - how do you get paid for your work? My incentive for stock is the

thousands of images I have gathering dust on my hard drive never seen by anyone.

I want an audience, ya know? I'm working on mastering Behance but from what I can find

there seems to be a total lack of documentation, much to my chagrin.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

- Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am lucky - I am retired now, so I get to spend my days on what I want to do (and what my wife tells me I want to do....)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that in these forums there is a Behance forum: Behance   and also an Adobe Stock forum : Adobe Stock

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.

I am 71 and work. Had intended to 'definitely' retire at 70, but my wife just graduated with

her PHD a month ago. I work at home, I am a statistical programmer working in drug

development, so there are rewards personally to what I do.

As for the wife thing - I am in charge at home, that is until she gets home!

- Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help at all how do I actually fix this? I don't care why I need to know how to fix it. All you are doing is explaining the back-end math. how do I take a file that is too small and step by step in plain English to make it have 4mp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help at all how do I actually fix this? I don't care why I need to know how to fix it. All you are doing is explaining the back-end math. how do I take a file that is too small and step by step in plain English to make it have 4mp?

By @dan296317980j6u

@davescm did write:

1. Don't resize the images, if they fall within the size guidelines ( yours do) . By resampling you will introduce artifacts that will be emphasised further by the final user when they size them for their use.

So if your image is too small, then you aren't doing anyone a favour by upscaling (whether using image size or a third-party tool).

Canvas size pixel width value * canvas size pixel height value / 1,000,000 = MP value

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2018/03/photoshop-mega-pixel-value-script-mp.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very simple. If we're talking about Adobe Stock, and the file is too small, give up. Adobe's rules (which you need to read learn and understand if you want to make stock) FORBID you from increasing the size. Yes, forbid, you can't submit that too-small file. If you break Adobe's rules they will reject your pictures and block your account. If you aren't planning to use Adobe Stock then you've jumped on the wrong discussion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Beside MP requirements there is and size in MB requirements I think. Do not upscale images as already suggested and save them using Save a Copy, for example, when saving from Photoshop. Set highest quality possible (12), Baseline Standard will do the job. I am Adobe Stock contributor with around 8.000 submissions so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines