• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can the Clone Stamp tool be sampled from a preset path?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, can the clone stamp tool be sampled from a path I set before I begin to use the brush?

What I'm trying to do is write in neon (I know this can be done in simpler/different ways, but I'd like to know if this way is possible). I'm using this sign with the cursive "F" and my end goal is to write a G in neon. What I want to be able to do is set up a sampling path from the curves of the F and then be able to use the brush to write a G.

The only thing I can think of that does something like this is the Clone Stamp tool. Any other tools/methods like this?

Neon F reference image....https://img1.etsystatic.com/015/0/7660034/il_570xN.411296573_6r11.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Clone Stamp tool would not work well for this use.

You could try using the Brush tool with a neon brush. You could make your own neon brush or maybe find one on the web. If you make your own, it should look similar to this, 3 soft circles:

In the Brushes panel under Shape Dynamics, you'll need to set the Angle Jitter to Direction. And, you'll need to change Spacing, under Brush Tip Shape, to 1%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know if this way is possible.

No. The clone stamp tool will sample pixels and copy them to a new area, which is awesome for retouching and repairing images, but no you won't be able to draw an G in neon with the clone stamp tool, starting from the F.

I know this can be done in simpler/different ways

There are some easy-to-follow tutorials online that show how to add neon to your type, which I am happy to share, if you are interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you mentioned, there are tutorials on the web that use simpler methods -- mostly layer styles to simulate neon. Why not go the easier route if it looks good to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more that this project sparked the question because it's something I've thought about before. I have no issue creating a neon brush, editing a G to look neon, or using any other method to make this work.

It's just a feature that I would frequently use in other projects for my work if it were available as I often find I want to recreate an effect exactly without going through the process of making all the layers, brushes, etc (often because the art I'm working on is not originally mine and/or the layers have been merged/flattened, keeping me from easily making tweaks). The clone stamp tool is pretty much the go-to for these needs, I just thought it might be interesting to learn if there were a way to create a preplanned path for the tool.

Thanks to both of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with Puppet Warp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, and that's a good suggestion. It's not a great tool for my style though as it makes everything look pretty "puppetted" no surprise, kind of has a Monty Python feel on its own.

Maybe if I play around with it plus the clone stamp it could cut time down. Still wish there were a way to do a path with the clone stamp, but the puppet warp might have some nice unexpected effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines