Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 old mac pros,

mid 2010

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

one with 16 gb ram, = 4 x 4gb sticks

other with 24 gb ram = 3 x 8 gb sticks [they are a heavy photoshop user

both mac pros have 2 mechanical HDs in them -

boot drive is fast 1 tb, 'clone' drive is also  1tb but slower  and is only there for clone and emergency purposes

recently upgraded to 10.11.6

and

adobe cc 2017, idd, illus, photoshop

customer kept adobe cc 2015 add, illlus, photoshop on both mac pros

talked to customer and they said they keep all 3 apps open at a time but do not mix 2015 and 2017

to give them better performance at a good price, i was going to upgrade

24 gb mac pro to 3 x 16gb =  48gb ram

and then take that ram and put it into other mac pro

3 x 8g  = 24 + 1 x 4 gb = 28 gb

apple had suggested that 3 sticks of ram is better than 4 sticks of ram

any suggestions would be helpful

ps - i have talked to client about SSD drive but 1 tb SSD is expensive and then there is cost of sled

what is nice about ram solution above i that only ram is re-used to keep cost of solution low

thanx !

[Duplicate message deleted... posting the same question more than once is confusing... Mod]
[This is an open forum, not a direct line to Adobe support... you need to wait for a reply]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the ram: i don't see anything changing from last time you asked. have the customer/users monitor ram usage.

your old thread:

mac pro - 24 gb ram vs 48 gb ram - adobe cc indesign, illustrator, photoshop, acrobat

adding more ram likely wont give a performance boost, unless the software is using all the available ram and there is very low or no free memory. you could check the memory usage while the programs are being used to see what the software is using for memory and how much is still available/free.

for the ssd: if 1tb of space is actually needed, have you considered using a smaller 256-500gb ssd for os/apps/cache and using the 1tb boot hdd for larger files like media storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smaller SSDs make it the solution quite complicated not just to install but to 'clone' and technical notes for a very non-technical user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is 'different' is that the customer has said installed/setting up SSDs was too expensive and complicated a solution

the ONLY solution they would entertain would be to upgrade the RAM

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what i did was to point the scratch disk to the 'clone' hard drive for illustrator 2015.3/2017 and photoshop 2015.5/2017

instead of the boot drive

its  free  !

i'll see how it goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines