Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Character and Paragraph Styles Globally in Libraries and Documents

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

How do I make global updates to character and paragraph styles which have been applied to library assets and documents? I am using Indesign CC.

For eg. I have changed the name of a character style from "Dropcap: Numbered list" to "Dropcap: Three lines". How can I change all the instances where  "Dropcap: Numbered list" appears in the library asset or document without having to manually find and change them myself? Your help would be very much appreciated! Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi casceru1,

We got your concern, we are sorry to inform you that right now there is not feature to do that, however you can share your request or suggestion here  Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative way - You can add all your indd into book (don't forget to off auto-numbering) and than synchronize all styles you needed.

https://indesignsecrets.com/synchronize-multiple-indesign-documents.php 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George

Thanks for your response. I have never heard of this alternative way before and I gave it a try, but as I had mentioned in my query, if the name of the character style is "Dropcap: Numbered list" in one file and "Dropcap: Three Lines" in the other document, it doesn't know how to recognise and consolidate the character into one style, but, instead it adds both styles to the character panel. It still means I have to manually delete the wrong character style and replace it with the other.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion!

Kind regards
Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that if the master document had both style names, if you updated to add the one throughout the "book" and then deleted the other and synchronized a second time it would be removed from all of them.

But then, I haven't tried to do this either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

casceru1  wrote

It still means I have to manually delete the wrong character style and replace it with the other.

When you delete it, be sure to replace it with the style you plan to use.

Alternatively, search for one style, replace with the other. The advantage is you can do this in all documents that are currently open if you have several.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti

Thanks for your response. Even though it wasn't the answer I would have hoped, at least I know that I haven't been updating library items, files, templates all in vain. Hopefully in the next CC update.

Kind regards
Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines