• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw updated, can't open new NEF files

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get my issue resolved with Camera Raw not recognizing my NEF files from my Nikon D7200? I updated Cam Raw to version 9.1.1.461 and I see that my camera is on the supported list, but I still keep getting this error message, {Photoshop cannot open this file, make sure you have the latest Camera Raw update installed.} I have Photoshop CS6 ver.13.0.6 x64.  Camera Raw does still recognize my older NEF files from my Nikon D90.

I just recently bought this camera and this is the first time I have tried to open these files .

I even downloaded the latest DNG converter and it doesn't recognize the files either.  {The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files.}

I don't really want to buy into CC.
Please help, I'm not getting anywhere with Adobe help. I was in chat (text) hold for well over an hour and got nowhere.
Linda V.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

FIX HERE!!! DONE!! Just want to say thanks for this thread esp JimHess...as I scoured the internet for 2 days on and off...typing in different keywords.
The files ended up being corrupted from the Nikon Transfer of View NX program!! I was using an earlier version I think 2.0 or earlier. I then found the "Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Files" converter> Link here was not going to the correct place. However, we are up and running again!! Thank you JimHess and others for posting this!!
Here is an updated l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a source for raw files in the DNG converter, choose a FOLDER, but do not open that folder. If you do then you will be notified that there are no files to convert. The DNG converter works at the folder level only. A very simple way to use the converter is to choose the folder on the SD card as the source and then specify a folder on your hard drive as the destination. That way you can use the DNG converter as your download software and do the conversion in a single operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did choose only a folder......still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you used Nikon Transfer to download the images from the camera? That software is notorious for corrupting the images in a way that makes them unreadable by Adobe software. Here is the link to a short video on how to use the DNG converter:

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

And just in case you did use Nikon Transfer and it did corrupt those NEF files, here is a link to a utility that will fix those files:

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do use Nikon Transfer. Always have and never had a problem. Suddenly with this new camera I'm having all kinds of issues.

I download the images, both RAW and jpg, I insert the card into my laptop slot and Nikon Transfer opens automatically.  How else do I get the files into my laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that must be it. When I inserted my card, Nikon transfer opened up. So I closed it and accessed the files from the card icon on my desktop. So I guess I'll have to redownload all my cards from this last trip.  Good thing I save them all for a while before reformatting!!!!

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are all kinds of ways to copy those images from the card to the computer. I don't know whether you are using Windows or Mac. But you can either use File Explorer or Finder and locate the images on the card and drag them to a folder on your computer. Or, as I explained in my previous message, you can start the DNG converter and choose the folder on the SD card as the source folder containing the NEF files and then specify a folder on the laptop as the destination for the DNG files. Then you can let the DNG converter do the conversion as it downloads the images from the card. There really isn't anything magical about Nikon Transfer. If you are using the older version that you used previously you might want to consider installing the newer version that came with your D7200 and see if that makes a difference if you want to continue using the software. But I have never used Nikon Transfer. I have had a D40, D90, and am currently using a D7100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac. What came with my D7200 was some weird program called viewNX which is a totally useless piece of junk IMO.

Guess I'll now have to bug Nikon on how to upgrade Nikon Transfer.  Thanks for the link on how to fix corrupted files....hope I don't have to use it!

No wonder so many people are going back to using FILM ! LOL 

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want to use it then here is what I found doing a Google search. Apparently this is the latest version.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000003433&configured=1&lang=en_US

But really, I don't understand why you want to use it. It doesn't really accomplish anything special. After you get them transferred to the laptop all you're going to have to do is convert them to DNG anyway. But you know your workflow better than I do. I don't know if this version fixes the problem of corrupting the NEF files are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I download the files again, why would it be necessary for me to convert them to DNG if they will open with Camera Raw in Photoshop?  Is there any advantage to using them as DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, I wasn't thinking. In that case, you can even download them using Bridge. I just don't see any to use extra software when it isn't needed. But that's your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FIX HERE!!! DONE!! Just want to say thanks for this thread esp JimHess...as I scoured the internet for 2 days on and off...typing in different keywords.
The files ended up being corrupted from the Nikon Transfer of View NX program!! I was using an earlier version I think 2.0 or earlier. I then found the "Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Files" converter> Link here was not going to the correct place. However, we are up and running again!! Thank you JimHess and others for posting this!!
Here is an updated link: HERE

Best Wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines