• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Converting Heading Levels (H1, H2, etc.) Into Images

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on several documents in Word that need to be converted to PDF and then checked for 508 compliance.  I had one document that was very poorly formatted, so I redid the Multi-level list for the document, and then did the conversion.  I am now getting a ton of "Other Element Alternate Text Failure" indications throughout the document.

is there something in how Word tags a heading that could possibly cause this issue?  Am I looking at a setting I don't know about in Adobe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't run across a problem like that related to a heading issue. Do your headings have lines or shading?

Does Set Alternate Text in the Accessibility tool point to headings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  The header levels are just Arial Bold.  I did discover one thing though.  If I convert the Word document from .docx to the old standard .doc, the issue resolves itself.  When I looked in the old structure, all of those Header levels are showing up as images...included in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange...

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround. My best advice is to open a new document, copy the text from the original, paste it without formatting, then assign styles. It's more work on the front end, but avoids some of the funky stuff that can happen with an old document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I wasn't in a time crunch to complete updates and compliance checks on a number of documents, I might just do that; however, it just isn't feasible at the current time.  I do think that there is something in the underlying transform process that is identifying a Heading as an image.  It shouldn't be possible for it to make that error, but I am wondering if something got corrupted in the underlying XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines