• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pentax K-S2 PEF files suddenly not recognized.

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently purchased the (NON CC) version of Lightroom 6. I have created catalogs and have been working on many photos successfully. Following one of the Adobe "how to" videos, I wanted to try out the Dehaze and realised it's not in the non-cc version, and would have to implement an upgrade or a "plugin" (Prolost). I attempted first to upgrade Adobe Lightroom. Shutting down Lightroom - but when I restarted i got an error saying Lightroom couldn't be found. I re-installed it and now ALL of my photos in Develop come up with "The file is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom". All the Develop options are greyed out. I see that the .PEF files from the K-S2 are supported by the Lightroom 6.1 (on page Cameras supported by Camera Raw ) but don't understand why I have happily been using LR6 for a few weeks fine with photos from my KS-2.

Please can someone help??

thank you very much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

I don't understand why lightroom was working perfectly and suddenly - not updating Lightroom triggered the rejection of previously accepted format?

This happened because reinstalling always installs the base version (6.0), which does not have built-in support for your camera.

So you need to update to at least 6.1 to get support for your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version Adobe Camera RAW in "About"? Has to be 9.1 (newest is 9.10.1)  Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw is hard coded into Lightroom, so the Camera Raw installer will not work - it's a plugin for Photoshop.

annaviviennewilliams - when you reinstalled Lightroom, the base version (6.0) was installed, so you need to update it.

If Help > Updates doesn't work, download the update from here (6.10.1 is the latest version): Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per Berntsen​. I'll try that . For the moment - since I'm just beginning and trying out Lightroom, I've converted my photos from PEF to DNG and reimported them. That works... but I was so despondent to see that all the work I'd done on the previous uploads couldn't be used. 😞

I don't understand why lightroom was working perfectly and suddenly - not updating Lightroom triggered the rejection of previously accepted format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened because reinstalling always installs the base version (6.0), which does not have built-in support for your camera.

So you need to update to at least 6.1 to get support for your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks- this has worked for me. Appreciate your input on this! Has restored my faith in LR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines