• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recent Files Panel Will Not Open

Contributor ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of Photoshop CC installed on the Win 7 Pro, 64 bit OS. I have the proper check boxes ticked in Preferences to enable the new Start Screen and the Recent Files Panel. The Start Screen comes up and functions as expected. When I select File>>Open, however, the normal OS file explorer opens instead of the expected Recent Files panel. Today was the first time I've seen this behavior, it did work initially when first activated a week or so ago. I deleted and recreated my PS profile but that made no difference.

I discussed this with an Adobe technician today and after some research he claimed it is an issue for some people with the latest PS release. I did some internet research but could not find any reports of such behavior which seemed odd given what he told me. Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Other than this anomaly, PS seems to be working as expected in all other respects.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

This is a follow-up to my original posting. I also posted on the on the "Adobe Family Customer Community Forum" and with the help gained there I think it's pretty conclusive that my issue is caused by the latest Adobe CC update 4.1.1.202. The following link will take you to the posts on this topic:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/recent-files-panel-will-not-open

One of the individuals having the same problem I reported--missing Recent Files Panel--had the following comments:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which are you referring to recent File workspace or new Document Panel? Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both "Show Start" and "Show Recent" options checked in Preferences.

When I first open PS the new "Start Screen" comes up as expected and populates normally.

Later in the workflow, if I want to open another image while keeping the first one I opened, I use Ctrl+O or file File>>Open to access additional files. At this point, the "Recent Files" panel (the second item in your screenshot) should open on the right of the PS screen where the other working panels are located. That does not happen. Instead, the normal Windows File Explorer opens.

The following link describes how the "Show Start" and "Recent Files" features should work.

Photoshop CC 2015 - New Start Screen And Recent Files Panel

In my case everything works as described except for the "Recent Files" panel which never appears as described above. It's as if I never checked that option in Preferences. I have taken the step of resetting and then rebuilding my preferences with no change with respect to this issue.

As I said, an Adobe technician told me others were having this issue too even though I can find no reference to it in the Adobe forums and the Google searching I've done so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you reset your preferences. Then check/set the preferences settings for those two options I use neither.  Close your Preferences, Close Photoshop and start Photoshop. I have to do that to get the setting operating the way the are set in Preferences.  Ctrl+O will still open Windows dialog till I restart Photoshop after I check my preferences to show recent file workspace when opening files.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in my earlier postings I have already reset and rebuilt my "Preferences" as you suggest (multiple times actually). This made no difference with regard to the "Recent Files" panel not opening. No matter what I do or where I am in my work flow, the "Windows File Explorer" comes up. Something else must be broken.

Thanks for your ideas and screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a follow-up to my original posting. I also posted on the on the "Adobe Family Customer Community Forum" and with the help gained there I think it's pretty conclusive that my issue is caused by the latest Adobe CC update 4.1.1.202. The following link will take you to the posts on this topic:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/recent-files-panel-will-not-open

One of the individuals having the same problem I reported--missing Recent Files Panel--had the following comments:

"I have the same problem too.  I have been able to find the cause of the problem on my computer.

The problem occurs after installing the newest version of Create Cloud Desktop 4.1.1.202 released on 06/07/2017.

My PC System's  use the following:

Windows 7 x64 Pro

I use Imagining Software to backup up by system.  After reloading my system which contains Create Cloud Desktop version 4.0.1.188, the recent-files workspace works.

When I update to the newest Create Cloud Desktop (4.1.1.202) the "recent-files" workspace is no longer available and is no longer listed in the Photoshop's  workspaces.

My Solution:

Reload my backup and not update to the newest version of Create Cloud Desktop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct it seem strange that its the Creative Cloud Desktop application creating the problem.  I do not habve is run aotomaitcle and only update it when I have a need to use it.  I updated it a day or two ago and not I can not get the Resent File Workspace to open and no Update to  CC 2017 was installed. Go figure.

However the seems to be a new CC 2017 update now.

Strange Update though Creative cloud shows in history it just updated Photoshop CC 2017 but CC 2017 System Info still shows version 2017.1.1.  Adobe lets so many bugs out their doors.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am surprised that the most recent CC app update to 4.1.1.202 is culprit causing the "Recent Files" panel to go missing even when PS 2017 did not appear be updated at the same time. I too see a new update for PS in my queue. It looks like you installed it already, but from your comments, I take it that it did not solve the missing "Recent Files" panel issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here apparently is the final work on this from Adobe for the time being...

This was Adobe's announcment about the the new "Start Menu" and the "Recent Files Panel"... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/start-open-recent-files-workspace.html​

But the "Recent Files Panel" feature is now removed...

Additional information here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/recent-files-workspace-issue.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It reads more like it so somewhat removed it will no loner be launch with File open  but can be part of you workflow in the start workspace.

The workaround  does not open the Recent file panel or the start workspace.  It open the old open recent menu so the Photoshop Preferen should be removed.....

Workaround

Access a list of your recent documents by selecting File > Open Recent or through the Start screen.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's isn't clear what is being considered. For the moment it seems they are thinking out loud about this feature and making changes that only cause confusion. Introducing new features with great fanfare and then quietly removing some without notice is not very customer friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.

I've been beating my head against a brick wall trying to sort this out. When really it's a Adobe issue. Frustrating as have reset preferences a few times to try and fix something that is unfixable. I hope that we get this feature returned as it's so much quicker to have access to recent files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use the Start workspace.  When there no open documents in Photoshop there is a recent panel in the start workspace. If you do not use the start workspace and when there are open documents in Photoshop the recent file list is displayed using the menu File>Open Recent.  If you want a recent panel you could request that Adobe to add an option to display thumbnails in the Open Files list menu  for a consistent user interface. Submit that request on Adobe feedback site.  Photoshop Family Customer Community

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything about it on the feedback site

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Can you clarify your workflow that gets you to this situation? 

Is this when Photoshop first opens? 

If you have other documents open and use the Ctrl o shortcut, does that open the Recent files screen, or the OS open file window?

I wonder if a screen shot might make things clearer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines