Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freezing and Lagging while editing 4k video

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello;

I have bought a new pc with these spec but when i edit 4K videos the preview completely slow down and sometimes freeze which mean i cannot edit properly.

CPU

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz

RAM

16.0GB @ 2400MHz DDR4

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII RANGER

Graphics

8.0 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Storage

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA)

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) (Only for cache files)

I overclock the CPU to 4.5 MHZ.

Which hardware do i need to upgrade to get a better performance and smooth editing?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and let us see your Output.csv results.  This is a hardware test using Adobe Premiere Pro.  There is one Disk I/O test, one CPU intensive test and two GPU assisted tests.

Also I am guessing that your media and projects are on the hard disk drive.  Try just using you second SSD for all your project files and media.  Hard disk drives should be relegated to archiving and backup only.

If you really want a great project/media drive fill that M.2 socket with one of the new super speed  SSD's see my test data on various forms of storage media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.

Here are the result of the benchmark test:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well right off the bat your Disk I/O is not suitable for your 4K media. That as I suspected, is your WD hard disk drive.  Do not use that second SSD just for caching.  Unless you have hundreds of clips I personally leave the cache on the default SSD boot drive.  Buy the way what is your media

Then put all your project and media on the second SSD, or as I suggested get yourself an M.2 drive

Your fourth score of 425 seconds with your 4.5 GHz i7-6700K is very good (better than my recorded PPBM i7-6700K at 4.2 GHz).

Your GTX 1080 is working very good with that 16 second score.  Because you have a 4-core CPU the 83 seconds that score is also very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your recommendation, I will upgrade to M.2 drive as you said.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my hard drive to SAMSUNG 960 EVO 500gb M.2.

Still i have lagging when I am editing 4k videos, when i put one 4k video to the sequence it is quite performing good but when the sequence gets more videos the system slows down.

I noticed that my CPU cannot handle the 4k load, it is always 100% loaded.

Any further solution?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing that your media is a long GOP codec.  Since your CPU is fully loaded it cannot handle the media decoding.  You better look at proxy or transcode your media to something with less decoding.  Download and run MediaInfo and then go to Tree view and give us a look at what you are trying to process.  Here is a sample of what we would like to see:

4K-GoPro-MediaInfo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is recoreded with DJI phantom 4 pro, so it is a drone footage 3840x2160 pixel and 100 mb/s

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see that "Format Settings, GOP: M=1, N=30"

That "N=30" is the problem.  That is the longest GOP that I have seen, there may be longer.  That is very highly compressed and requires immense CPU action to decode/ The easiest probably is using Premiere Pro's new Proxy editing.

Notice my example from my son's GoPro is only N=15 so editing on my laptop is much more practical .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already use proxy but the quality is decreased, the point of buying this computer was to be able to edit 4k videos smoothly.

Can I convert the footage to other format with better codec before editing or just using the proxy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

transcoding to cineform is probably the best option for your computer, followed by dnxhr. the ingest settings in premiere has the option to transcode too, besides the proxies and copy options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines