• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding certain size to selection [Possibly a Script Needed?]

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm wondering why such a simple thing is absent in PS. For example, i have a selection and i want relatively add 2 cm (to right or left and so on), but there is no ability to do it. PS can move selection relatively, but not to add size. And there is no plugin for that, very funny)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use menu Select - Transform Selection then drag the handles.

If you have your rulers set to cm the on screen display will show the drag in cm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not a solution, because it is not possible to create an action, that's what it's all about. What you've wrote it's more than clear for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmitryk2017  wrote

it's not a solution, because it is not possible to create an action, that's what it's all about. What you've wrote it's more than clear for me)

This might help.

Actions won't play back transformations properly

Create actions in Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately there is nothing that could help. does anybody know the specific solution for this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmitryk2017  wrote

unfortunately there is nothing that could help. does anybody know the specific solution for this problem?

I'm guessing that your issue is with adding to one side of the selection, rather than having it expand equally on both sides?  I've had a look at duplicating the object and moving it a specific amount so that you could then expand it concentrically, which would be the same as adding to just one side, but I can't see how to move it by a linear amount.  Only a pixel amount.   I've thought about duplicating and expanding an object with a view to deleting one side of the duplicate so you could merge the two layers into the desired size. This would work if you knew in advance whereabouts the object was situated in the document window.  All very clunky, I am afraid.

So I guess it would need a script.  We have a scripting sub-forum, or I could add the word Script to your subject line to attract someone with scripting experience — we have several among our regular posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

even if i needed to expand to all sides, there's still no solution for this. Expanding, Border and so on, that PS provides it's not what i need. Not only it works not in best way i could imagine (expand for example - issue with corners), but because it only provides to do this with only a pixels and i need to recalculate every time. that tools is not for such kind of job,  so  that is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmitryk2017  wrote

What the heck?  I took you at your word and didn't test, but I just gave it a go and you can definitely record an action that adds a specific amount to a specific side of a selection.  You'd need to make multiple actions for different directions and amounts of course.  Go give it a try.  In this instance you will need to set your rulers to centimeters (by right clicking inside the ruler).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

absolutely not! you can't record just relative size addition to selection in action! you can't even add relative size to some object transformation. here is screen for understandig this.

exampl.jpg !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines