• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Lightroom open some NEF files and not others?

Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has not had a problem opening any of my RAW files from either of my previous Nikon DSLRs. But with my D500, it does not seem to recognize them, saying "preview unavailable for this file," and not importing any of them. Yet Photoshop seems to open them without an issue. Lightroom seems to be OK with jpeg and tiff images from the D500, just not the NEF files. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

If your copy of Win 10 is 64 bit then you should be able to run LR 2015.10.1.

Do you have the Creative Cloud desktop App installed? If do open it and click the Gear Icon in the upper right and select "Check for Updates".

If that doesn't work you can download the base version of LR 2015 and then the .10.1 update from here.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version number of Lightroom are you running?

You need v6.5 or higher.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I update all my Adobe CC software regularly, and I checked, and am told that I have there are no updates beyond the last one I have, which was only a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it's 5.7.1, and Camera raw 8.7.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dtbaker2318  wrote

Thanks. I update all my Adobe CC software regularly, and I checked, and am told that I have there are no updates beyond the last one I have, which was only a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it's 5.7.1, and Camera raw 8.7.1

If the highest version of LR you can run is 5.7.1, even with a CC account, then you must be running a 32bit version of Windows or a very old version of OS X.

Please post the Exact version of the OS your computer is running and if it is Windows go to Control Panel > System and look at the bit version, 32 or 64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 (Home), 64-bit. Not sure that 5.71 is the highest I CAN run, or if there's an update that has not installed correctly. I have 2017 versions of all my other Adobe suite apps, but the Lightroom app is 2015. Last updated a week ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your copy of Win 10 is 64 bit then you should be able to run LR 2015.10.1.

Do you have the Creative Cloud desktop App installed? If do open it and click the Gear Icon in the upper right and select "Check for Updates".

If that doesn't work you can download the base version of LR 2015 and then the .10.1 update from here.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking "Open" from the Creative Cloud window updated the App. The files opened as normal. thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dtbaker2318  wrote

Clicking "Open" from the Creative Cloud window updated the App. The files opened as normal. thanks so much!

If that is the case then LR CC 2015 was already installed on your system and you never even knew it. If you click on the shortcut you had been using to open LR does LR 5 open or LR CC 2015.

LR CC 2015 is a completely different program from LR 5 and not any type of update to LR 5. There should be 2 separate shortcuts in your Start menu for LR.

The only time the CC DTA shows Open to the right of a program is after it has already been installed. Otherwise that button would read "Install" or "Try" for CC apps your subscription doesn't cover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because each camera maker insists on developing their own raw file format, Adobe has to add support for each individual camera model. That means Lightroom has to be updated periodically to provide support for new cameras. Evidently the version of Lightroom you are using is old enough that the D500 has not yet been added as a supported camera. You need to be using Lightroom 6.5/CC 2015.5 or newer in order to have support for your camera. If you are using Lightroom 6/CC then it is simply a matter of updating to the latest update available. If you are using Lightroom 5 or older it will be necessary for you to purchase an upgrade or subscribe to the Creative Cloud. The free alternative is to use the DNG converter which will convert your raw files to the Digital negative format which can be used with what ever version you are now using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then, something isn't right. Unless you only have a 32-bit operating system you are way behind. You should be running Lightroom CC 2015.10.1, And Camera Raw which is used by Photoshop (not Lightroom) should be at version 10.1. What operating system are you running? Is it possible that you still have both the CC software and Lightroom 5.7.1 installed, and you are double-clicking on the icon for the old version? Both versions can coexist. But if you are using a 32-bit operating system you cannot use Lightroom CC. It is 64-bit only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines