Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems exporting image sequence larger than 5k

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm trying to export an animation I created in timeline as an image sequence using the File > Export > Render Video > Photoshop Image Sequence method but I've come across a problem.

The pixel dimensions I'm working on are 5760x704 and apparently I can't export an image sequence larger than 5k. See screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 10.25.00 pm.png

Is there an alternate method I could possibly try? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Baron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very wide aspect ratio wider than 4K video and shorter than 1K.   Find yourself a 5K or 8K video editor and try that software.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJMack,

Thanks for the response.

That would probably be ideal- except I've gone gungho and done a full 3 minute animation in photoshop under those dimensions! I'm a beginner in animation (clearly) and I like the frame by frame option in PS

Would it be possible to bring the animated PSD file into a video editor like AE with all animation frames still in tact? And then export them as an image sequence from there?

Or can automated scripts help?

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 90:11 aspect Ratio is very wide.  What is the video to be used with? Resize the document down in size reduce the number of pixels.   A video 5760 Pixels wide can only be displayed on an 8K display.  Dell 8K display is $5000 how many users do you know that have an 8K display.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an animated video artwork for a unique digital screen that spans roughly 22 metres wide. The pixel dimensions are strictly as mentioned above to match the screen and we can't change the aspect ratio unfortunately.

So I'm really looking to see if there is anything I can do to quickly export my 10,000+ frames (and counting) quickly within deadline.

Saving frames manually seems far too arduous, so I'm open to any options (if any).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the video player scale up videos the do not have frames 5760x704 pixels.  Photoshop limit seems to be 5000px wide. Resize the document to 5000px by 611px keep the 90:11 aspect ratio but reduce the number of pixels to a size Photoshop can render video for. If the player can not scale the video up in size the 5000px wide frame will be 19.1meters wide on your special low resolution display.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually just had to deal with this problem when exporting 8k image sequences to be used as 3D texture maps.  And yes, you most certainly can do this if you have your animation set up with video layers.  The easiest way to do this is to use a dedicated 2D animation tool like the AnimDessin2 add-on for Photoshop.

You can get it here.  Or by going to Windows - Browse Extensions Online.  It says it works up to CC 2015, but I think I tested it in 2015 and it didn't really work.  Currently, I believe it works best in Photoshop CC 2014.  But, if you're on the cloud it shouldn't be a problem to download any previous version of PS and install the add-on there.

https://vimeo.com/96689934

Here's a video on how to use the extension.  It's great for doing hand-drawn animation in PS.  The second extension AnimColeur2 is also great for coloring 2D animation.  I've been using it for years and prefer it over Flash/Animate because it allows you to utilize all the Photoshop brushes in a raster-based environment instead of vector, which can lead to a more organic result closer to animation on paper.

Since your animation is already done using the timeline, it might be a hassle to convert it to video layers but there should be a way.  But, once it's set up with video layers you should just be able to import the PSD into After Effects and all your video layers will be converted to pre-comps and your animation should remain intact as sequenced layers.  Then you can just export your animation in whatever resolution you want. 

Also, if you don't want to bother with AnimDessin2, you could always try importing your PSD, as is, into After Effects and seeing if After will sequence the layers for you.  I believe it should, although your comp will have a ridiculous amount of layers in it.  Either way there should be an easy way to do this via AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines