• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unsupported tif format or TIFF file uses an unsupported compression method.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder of tifs that were recovered from an sd card out of a Canon 7D.  The only recovery software that worked saved them as Tif files.  I can view the thumbnail but not the picture itself and the files cannot be opened by  Photoshop CC or camera raw  They all spit out a message to the tune of "unsupported tiff format"  or

" Could not complete your request because the TIFF file uses an unsupported compression method."

Please help I have over 1000 pics stuck!!!!

This is the format of the files I have:  CANKN_Cankn EKS 7@_28472-74877_000.TIF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Cannon 7D writes CR2 RAW Files and jpeg Files the recovery software did not recover what the camera wrote of if it did it gave the recovered files the wrong extension.  Try renaming the recovered files from *.tif to *.CR2 and *.jpg.  Tri .jpg first since you had 1000 images on a SD Card.  If some files are Large rename them *.CR2

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack but I have already tried this option and it did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try opening the files in another application like Preview on a mac system on Microsoft Paint on a windows system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried to preview but all I can see is a thumbnail with no image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sound like the files were not recovered....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I do have the same number of files I had on the camera in the recovery file. It is the the first time that I encounter this issue in recovering files. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a mac?

Maybe you can provide us with a sample file using Dropbox and we can try it in some different applications you might not have or see if the file is corrupted.

https://www.dropbox.com/plans?trigger=sem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox - CANKN_Cankn EKS 7@_86072-240061_001.TIF

Hello R_Kelly hope you can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it looks to me like the files are corrupted.

I actually got two applications to open the file, but just a green background was displayed and all the rest of the applications complained in way or another the file was unreadable.

Most likely the files were too badly degraded on the sd card to be recovered properly.

What happened to the sd card that the files needed recovery?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what happened. I was trying to transfer the photos to my hard drive through a card reader and it suddenly stopped and the card was displayed as blank...same with the second...Needless to say that I stopped the transfer with other cards

Thank you for your help!!

Edith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R_Kelly,

I have tried with another recovery tool and this is a sample of the new files I got? I still can't open them but getting another message for the jpg file ( Could not complete your request because an invalid JPEG DQT quantizer value is found) I am so distress as most my pictures seem to be corrupted from my recent trip ti Thailand and Laos. Hope you can see something. I did nothing specific with the cards. I was uploading the photos from the card reader and it suddenly stopped and was displaying blank folder. I tried with the second card (same brand-Scandisk-) and the same thing occurred. All other cards from a different brand are fine

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9c494jt5ln2j6oh/File002.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxzsbio00a877s7/File002.tif?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this happen getting TIFF files from an HP Digital Sender and opening it with my Mac. I fixed my problem by opening the files in a Linux machine, opening it with Shotwell, and saving it as another TIFF.  Alternatively, I have made this work too from the Terminal of the Mac with Imagemagick. (To install,  Install from Binary Distribution @ ImageMagick . There is also a Windows version in that page.)

The command to use is convert.

Usage: convert [options ...] file [ [options ...] file ...] [options ...] file

It can determine what file type to save it as using the filename extension. For example, to change it to BMP format:

/opt/ImageMagick/bin/convert FileThatCannotBeOpened.tiff FileThatCanBeOpened.bmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exactly the same problem... also with the picture turning green once I exported it to jpg online... did you use Disk Drill by any chance? Spending money on recovering the files but not having them recovered is the worst... I hope someone can help T.T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines