• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 5.5 won't open file

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign 5.5 and I cannot open files I created with this program. I get a message telling me to update my plug-ins or update to a newer version claiming the file was created by a newer version. Not true - I only have 5.5 and I created this file in 2013. Looked at with Bridge it says it is an InDesign 6 file which is ridiculous. It was created with the currently installed program, I am the only one who has ever worked on it and I have never had a newer version than 5.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​Try resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

You may need to do this a couple of times before getting the hang of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, still says the files were saved in a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you don't have a back-up or an earlier version of the document to try to open.

Maybe you should uninstall InDesign 5.5, run Adobe Cleaner and the reinstall it – presumably you still have the Installation disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am less frustrated I will uninstall and reinstall - thank you for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May this Jongware's script be helpful to ensure the file of which ID version you're dealing with, actually?

Here's the old thread about it:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/934429

And direct link:

http://www.jongware.com/binaries/identify.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of InDesign is 5.5 and using Adobe Bridge it says the file was saved with  InDesign 6 which I have never have installed or tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have seen many reports like your and it almost always turns out that the user was mistaken. Perhaps a trial version was used at one point.

If you post one of the troublesome files somewhere I’ll be happy to open it here and tell you what version created it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have never used a trial version of anything - I either buy it outright or I do not use it. In particular I upgraded to 5.5 so that I would not be forced into a monthly subscription for a program I use once or twice a year.  So unless Adobe is being underhanded and sticking in a trial version of InDesign when the program updates then I can categorically say "No, i have not used a trial version".

In fact, I have only had this computer for less than 2 months, only installed InDesign last week and today was the first time I used InDesign 

I have no problem posting a like somewhere if you have suggestions.  OTOH, i am about ready to dump this and go back to Pagemaker which I liked better anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craigd80113585  wrote

In fact, I have only had this computer for less than 2 months, only installed InDesign last week and today was the first time I used InDesign 

I have no problem posting a like somewhere if you have suggestions. 

I am slightly confused about two things:

• You installed InDesign 5.5 today, may I ask when you created the files that you can't open?

• Also, how were you able to purchase a copy of InDesign 5.5? Adobe no longer offers it for sale.

As to the link, you can use dropbox. As to the link, you can use dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files I cannot open were created anywhere from 2012 to 2015. I purchased CS 5.5 just before the switch to subscription only. I only installed it recently because I did not need it before now - it was installed on the previous laptop that went belly up in February. Considering I had to reinstall all the software I use regularly a program I use once or twice a year was ignored until I actually needed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an offer to look at one of the files. A script was posted.

If you don't want to take advantage of those offers I have no other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS are you running InDesign 5.5 under

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

I can understand your situation. I believe you got a great suggestion by Bob, if you can share one of the sample files, we can check and tell which version it was created in as well as can share a workaround for the rest of the files. Hope that should get your issue resolved.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it going to tell you something other than what Adobe Bridge says? 

I gave up trying to open the old file and created a new one from scratch since I was on deadline. Even though I saved it "InDesign CS 5.5 document" when looked at in Adobe Bridge it claims the file was created with Adobe InDesign 7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said before that Bridge says it was a CS6 file (which is 8.0). But now you say Bridge says its 7.5, which is CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I see you said it was an InDesign 6 file. What does Bridge actually say? InDesign 6.0 is CS4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have InDesign 5.5 ...

I only have 5.5 and I created this file in 2013. Looked at with Bridge it says it is an InDesign 6 file which is ridiculous. ...

And 5.0 was CS3. Craig, you have, I believe, CS 5.5 and Bridge says 6 without the CS, correct?

Good catch,

There is still the issue of why can't the file be opened, and Craig — if you can put it into a file sharing program for a short time, then we can look at it.

Dropbox Basic

A Dropbox Basic account is free and includes 2 GB of space. You can download free apps to access Dropbox from your computer and mobile device.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/cost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines