Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brochure template design

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

there are tonnes of mock-ups out there that are great!

With some one can easily do things like

3 fold example.png

(Double-Gate-Fold-Brochure-Vol3-PIXEDEN)

Sometimes though you have a particular thought in mind and cannot find a template of your dream.

So, the Q goes. How to create a template? Again, youtube full of videos on how to use an already created mock-up or videos that claim to teach you but fails to deliver (e.x. Design A Polygon Tri Fold Brochure Cover Photoshop Tutorial - YouTube  ). I watched it but have no idea how to make the design folded and 3d-like (see that nice transition from the 5th to the 7th second of the video)

So, what I would like to use is a tutorial on how to create a mock-up template from scratch. How to fold, add shadows, make a brochure look real.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Before I deleted the file from the last post I also used an alternative approach.

This time I made a 3D extrusion in the shape of the leaflet and dropped the leaflet layout  smart object from the last post onto the extrusion material.

This time the 3D lighting took care of the shading.

The magnifying glass was a model I made for another post answer. I decided to use it again before I deleted it . The point being you can add objects around your mock up leaflet to make it look real.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best Adobe application for producing a brochure is InDesign. The images can be optimised in Photoshop.

This Lynda.com online video tutorial shows you how: Designing a Brochure (you can a 30-day free trial).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Derek! But there is a catch, unfortunately.

All those videos teach how to create a brochure for printing. What I'd like to get is a mock-up that imitates a brochure printed, I don't really intend to create a real brochure on paper.

Here is an example Free-Tri-Fold-Mockup-PSD-File.psd 25 (unhide Ungroup, RGB8) (158 kb) 2017 г. Joxi That psd file has 4 smart objects to create a picture of a printed brochure, but the mock-up itself is not quite right and I have no idea how to change it. When trying to move it level by level all the shadows get mixed up

1497103061447 (237 kb)  2017 г. Joxi

My goal is to learn how to create a similar psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a very quick way that you can adapt as needed.

Starting with a flat mock up - in this case just a picture with three text boxes

Select the image and text layers (not the white background) and right click and Convert to Smart object.

With the Smart object layer selected Go to Edit Perpective Warp and add Layout grids in 3 sections

Switch to Warp and pull the handles

Tick in the options bar to make the changes

Right click on the layer and in Blending options - layer styles add a drop shadow

Add an empty new layer above the smart object and Alt Click on the border between the two in the layers panel so that it clips to the layer below ( a small downward arrow will appear).
Set the blending mode of this layer to luminosity

Make a rectangular selection over the centre "page" then paint with a soft black brush set to low opacity onto the new layer added above - this will paint a shadow

A few more shadows and that is it

You can modify this however you wish. Hopefully this gets you started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I deleted the file from the last post I also used an alternative approach.

This time I made a 3D extrusion in the shape of the leaflet and dropped the leaflet layout  smart object from the last post onto the extrusion material.

This time the 3D lighting took care of the shading.

The magnifying glass was a model I made for another post answer. I decided to use it again before I deleted it . The point being you can add objects around your mock up leaflet to make it look real.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave!

Following your 1st advice I've easily created a rough approximation of the leaflet

1497142351118 (199 kb) 2017 г. Joxi

but not so lucky with the 3D approach.

Would you please tell how exactly do you create a 3D extrusion in the shape of the leaflet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nkaretnikov  wrote

Would you please tell how exactly do you create a 3D extrusion in the shape of the leaflet?

Sure,

Use the pen tool to make a path in the shape of the edge of the leaflet. It must be a closed path:

In the 3D panel choose 3D Extrusion - with the source as workpath

Rotate it 90 degrees on the x axis

Scale it on the z axis and in the Properties panel click on "Move to Ground"

Now you can just click on the extrusion material and in the properties panel click the folder next to diffuse and choose edit texture

This will open a psb document where you can add the document image as I showed in my previous post

Hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave!

3D approach is way advanced as far as I can see!

Working with 3D without any experience is scaring though

On the step "rotate 90 degrees" CC2017 shows no X-Y-Z axis widget.

7a0e26fdb0.png

I have "View\Extras" selected and "Show Extras Options" all selected

a21147988e.png

Would by any chance you know how to make CC2017 display it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know - I don't know how to turn on and off the 3D axis tool. It is always just there.

As far as I remember there used to be a Shows - 3D Axis option but as I never switched that off, I don't know when it no longer appeared.

You could got to preferences Performance and try changing the drawing modes to see if it will appear (you will need to restart after changing)

In the meantime , even without that tool you can still rotate.

Either go to View - Show - 3D Mesh bounding box and tick it then rotate by grabbing the bounding box

or

With the object selected in the 3D panel - go to the properties panel - select Co-ordinates and enter the rotation directly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines