• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot delete photos in lightroom as option is greyed out -Mac user

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot delete, cut, paste photos in lightroom as option is greyed out, I can only remove from catalogue but image is still on disk.

I've deleted the lrcat and I've  re-installed etc. but options are still greyed out

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Are you trying to do this in a folder or in a collection? If you are in a folder, to delete images, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You'll get the dialog asking whether you just want to remove or actually delete from disk too. The options in edit are always greyed out. They are not for coming and pasting or deleting images but for copying and pasting text in text fields and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us a screen shot.

What exact version of LR are you using?

There is no real Delete in LR. There is Remove Photo or Photos depending on if have one or multiple images selected. Then a dialog box open with 3 options, Delete from disk, Remove from Catalog and Cancel.

Do any of the image displayed in the library module have ! mark on them? If they do that mean LR can't locate them, they aren't on/in the Drive/Folder LR thinks they are. If LR can find them LR certainly can't Delete them from the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 17.42.14.png

Lightroom CC 2015.10.1

I used to have the dialog box with the 3 options, Delete from disk, Remove from Catalog and Cancel. But now all I can do is remove from the catalogue but the image is still on my disk. The images are definitely on the disk - no ! present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never run into this. You could try trashing the LR preferences file, LR will create a new one when it is started.

Could you post a screen shot showing the Library module with the Grid view active?

What do you get if you select one image then Right Click and select Remove Photo near the bottom of the popup menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your replies.

Right clicking gives the remove photo option - this works but without any dialogue box i.e. removed photo from catalogue but leaves on disk.  Is this grid view? showing all adobe files.

can you send me the route to the LR preference file please?

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 18.16.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm on Windows but I don't have any of those options, Cut, Copy, Paste and Delete in the View menu like you have. I do have all the other options that you are showing in your screen shot.

LR is not a File Manager so I suspect you never had access to those entries.

When was the last time you restarted your Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted a few times over last few hours trying to sort this.

Also it is the edit view in the screen shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to do this in a folder or in a collection? If you are in a folder, to delete images, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You'll get the dialog asking whether you just want to remove or actually delete from disk too. The options in edit are always greyed out. They are not for coming and pasting or deleting images but for copying and pasting text in text fields and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's sorted it!  The delete key works and I think this is probably the way I have been using it, I'm fairly new to Lightroom and still an occasional user so I suppose I need to practice more!

Thanks to jao vdl and Just Shoot Me for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines