Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calibration - mac

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm getting ready to send my first batch of photos for print but noticed today that a photo I uploaded to Facebook is a different temperature when I view on the iPhone than the one I see on my mac! The mac is a lot warmer. I have done a calibration by eye via system preferences but it is still completely different.

Is it to be expected that viewing on an iPhone to appear different?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Yes. In general, mobile devices are not "color managed", lacking the capability to be calibrated and produce "industry standard" colors. But you can probably get a closer match between your Mac and phone...

I have done a calibration by eye via system preferences but it is still completely different.

In general, using the Calibrate tool in the Mac's System Preferences > Displays will not be very accurate.   You could play around wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. In general, mobile devices are not "color managed", lacking the capability to be calibrated and produce "industry standard" colors. But you can probably get a closer match between your Mac and phone...

I have done a calibration by eye via system preferences but it is still completely different.

In general, using the Calibrate tool in the Mac's System Preferences > Displays will not be very accurate.   You could play around with the target white point  (the third screen in the tool) to see if you can get a closer match with the iPhone, starting at white point D65.

But you'll get better results if you buy a calibrator: Amazon.com: color calibrator .  The calibrator will help LR running on your Mac to display "industry standard" colors.   So when you export your photos from LR and then view them on other devices (browsers on other computers, mobile devices), even though those devices aren't themselves calibrated, it's more likely what you see on them will be closer to what you see in LR.   This is because most consumer devices try to approximate these "industry standard" colors.

A couple of companies that make calibrators also make apps that can calibrate mobile devices. But they have a significant limitation -- you have to view photos using these apps.  Viewing photos through other photo apps won't be color-calibrated.   I tried it once a few years ago and didn't see noticeable difference -- others have reported mixed results.  E.g. How to calibrate tablets and smartphones (iPad, iPhone, Nexus, Galaxy, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely look into a color calibrator. They are essential for good color on your desktop. This is even true for Macs even though they tend to be better out of the box, they are certainly not perfect. Some iMacs have displays that are somewhat too warm in appearance so that could very well cause your issue. Calibrating it will probably fix it. Make sure that the calibrator can do wide gamut screens using LEDs if you have one of the newer displays. Many cheaper calibrators cannot do this and will give you inconsistent results.

Considering iPhones, it really depends on the generation you have how good the color is going to be. If you run the latest iOS on the latest phones or even one generation back, it is nicely color managed in that the color space of images will not matter and the color will be really quite good without any fuss. This won't matter much if you have an older generation phone which simply doesn't have a very good screen that is close to sRGB or display P3 gamut which the newest phones have. Secondly, make sure to turn off the "nightshift" feature on the phone. This feature changes the color temperature of your display depending on the environmental light. It really messes with the color reproduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mariak94045023  wrote

Hi,

I'm getting ready to send my first batch of photos for print but noticed today that a photo I uploaded to Facebook is a different temperature when I view on the iPhone than the one I see on my mac! The mac is a lot warmer. I have done a calibration by eye via system preferences but it is still completely different.

Thanks for your help in advance.

If you’re viewing an sRGB image on the iPhone, chances are, that preview is closer than what you’ll see on a non calibrated display and certainly outside a color managed application. You do need to calibrate and profile your display!

See:

Introduction to display calibration (TakeGreatPictures):

https://web.archive.org/web/20070119043614/http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOME/Columns/Digital_Pho...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines