• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup to External Drive on PSE 10

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to move my catalogue and files to an external drive using the backup and restore feature on PSE10. When I select full backup the message calculating total media size starts up and stops at 90%. It won't go any further and your only option is to cancel. I read previous posts and taken the following actions:

• Deleted video files
  • disabled media analysis and watch files
  • repaired and/or deleted missing files

I'm out of disc space on my hard drive plus I'm getting a new pc. I don't know what else to do.

thanks,

jc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Janicec581  wrote

I am trying to move my catalogue and files to an external drive using the backup and restore feature on PSE10. When I select full backup the message calculating total media size starts up and stops at 90%. It won't go any further and your only option is to cancel. I read previous posts and taken the following actions:

• Deleted video files
  • disabled media analysis and watch files
  • repaired and/or deleted missing files

I'm out of disc space on my hard drive plus I'm getting a new pc. I don't know what else to do.

thanks,

jc

Janice,

You have followed the right steps, but I believe there is still some file blocking the process.

My suggestion is to replace the backup step by a two steps process.

Before trying it, it would be a good idea to use another backup system for your pictures folder tree if you have one.

Anyway,

- find the catalog folder (menu Help >> System Info) and copy it on your external drive

- Replace the backup process by a 'move' from the organizer to the external drive. From the Folders view, you can move a whole folder tree to another drive. I think it would be wise to move step by step, one 'tree branch' after the other. When you have moved everything, your catalog points to the files on the external drive and works exactly the same as before.

If the process works as expected (I am confident it will), you can plug in the external drive to your new computer.

- If you have the same PSE10 installed, you simply use the catalog manager to browse to the newly copied catalog folder. Or you simply double click on the 'catalog.pse10db' database file in the catalog folder. That will open the organizer with your catalog.

- If you have a newer version like the current PSE15, you'll have to use the catalog manager to 'convert' the version 10 one before the above step.

You may continue to work with the files on the external drive... or move the folder tree back to the new internal drive.

After a successful transfer, it would be good to try a backup if you upgrade to a more recent version. The transfer won't solve the backup problem, most probably. I think that the conversion process may solve it.

Remember: moving or copying a catalog to another drive or folder does not change its contents.

Moving files or folder trees from the Organizer is safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines