• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 will not read DNG file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all  of the fixes for this problem that I can find here and elsewhere, but I still cannot opened DNG files.  I have Photoshop CS3, version 10.0.1 and Camera Raw 4.6, both updated manually, and I have made sure that I have administrator privileges for the program.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS3 (and re-updated it) and I have confirmed that Photoshop CS3 is set as the default program for opening DNG files, but I still get the error message that says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."  The DNG file originated from my new Moto Z Hasselblad True Zoom module. Are all DNG files not created equal?  Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Are all DNG files not created equal?

No, they are not. Even the DNG format has different versions and I strongly believe therein lies the answer - your camera produces a newer version that isn't supported directly by CS3.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone else has photoshop cs3 and access to a dng file from that camera.

In case no one else does, could you post a sample dng file somewhere like on Dropbox so we can test it in photoshop cs3.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all DNG files not created equal?

No, they are not. Even the DNG format has different versions and I strongly believe therein lies the answer - your camera produces a newer version that isn't supported directly by CS3.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!  The dng file I am trying to open can be found at Dropbox - IMG_20170611_080433943.dng .  I am most curious to find out if you are able to open it, and whether or not it is a new unsupported version of the dng format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a version that opens in CS3 Wikisend: free file sharing service

What I did was open it in Bridge 2017 and re-saved it out as DNG with compatibility of Camera Raw 2.4 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like Moto Z Hasselblad's dng format is too advanced for my legacy program.  =^(  Drat!

Thank you everyone for helping me with this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

You can use the adobe dng converter 9.10.1 to convert the dngs to dng copies compatible with photoshop cs3.

Just set the Compatibility to 4.6 and later.

dngc.png

windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1

mac

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Unfortunately the Adobe DNG Converter cannot help me because the Moto Z Hasselblad True Zoom creates dng files from the get-go.  Adobe DNG Converter does not recognize that there is anything for it to work with since there are no non-dng raw files.  =^) 

I am considering purchasing Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.  Do you know if it can open the dng file that I uploaded to Dropbox? Dropbox - IMG_20170611_080433943.dng

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 will open your dngs, but the dng converter will also work.

The reason most likely the dng converter doesn't see the files is one just selects the folder as the source not the files inside.

You can convert dng files to dng files with the dng converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  That works!  Awesome!!!   =^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines