Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of contents and titles in 2 lines

New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been passed a template that has the section titles done in 2 lines, the number alone and the title on the following line, like the following example:

Section title

Subsection title

I'm creating paragraphs styles to be able to automatically number those sections. The problem is, I'll have to create a Numbered section title (for the first line) and a non-numbered section title for the second line.

Now, once I create my table of contents, I'll need them both to appear in one line:

1.     Section title

1.1     Subsection title

Considering that I have created now 2 separate paragraph styles, I'm not sure of how to do this. Is there anything I should be doing differently?

The document is quite large and with many subsections, so it's crucial to have automatic numbering.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a better answer than using a GREP Find/Change in the generated TOC to search for the numbers at the beginning of a line followed by a ¶ and then replace the ¶ with a tab. You can save the query so that it's quick, but you'll have to run it after each TOC update, or wait until the book edits have been completed, and just do it once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Just need to only include the "Title" and "Sub-Title" para styles in the TOC targets and have the corresponding para styles with auto-numbering!

That's all! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies.

It sounds like a good idea to include both title styles in the TOC targets. Could you explain how to do that? How do I combine the styles?

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, ira_ira_ira_ira . Since Obi Wan came up with the solution, I thought he would have responded to your first request for more information to get credit for the answer.

Here's a way to handle this without a Find/Change:

1. When you create the TOC, only pull in the non-numbered subtitles.
  2. In the Table of Contents dialog box, map both of those to new style names like SectionTitle TOC and SubSectionTitle TOC using Entry Style.
  3. This will generate the correct TOC, without any paragraph numbers, and will assign style names to both levels.
  4. In the Paragraph Styles panel, edit the two new styles (SectionTitle TOC and SubSectionTitle TOC) and add the numbers back in to these paragraphs, matching the system you used in the document.

Set up correctly, if you edit your document and the section numbers change, you can use Layout > Update Table of Contents and these will update as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi BarbBinder - could you further explain this? I'm not following step 2. How do you map to two styles? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines