• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs on Merged Projects

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody run into an issue with breadcrumbs in the merged merged projects? Our WebHelp is structured as a master project with a number of other projects merged into it:

master.xpj:
- project1
- project2
----project2.1 (merged into project2)
- project3, etc

The breadcrumb works fine for the first two levels:
Home (master) > project1 > topic in project1

We run into the issue on the third level (project2.1):

Home (master) undefined Home (project2) > project2 > project2.1 > topic in project2.1

Any way around the undefined part?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum

This does not surprise me. Merging within a merge can be tricky. Take a look inside the output files. I believe the breadcrumbs are hard coded on generation so maybe a find and replace would fix it?

Please post back if that works or you find some other solution.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Take a look inside the output files. I believe the breadcrumbs are hard coded on generation so maybe a find and replace would fix it?

Hi, Peter, thanks for the response. It doesn't apprear that the breadcrumbs are hard coded. From what I can tell, the output files call the AddMasterBreadcrumbs JavaScript function from the whtopic.js file and pass the link information into it. In either case, we have a great number of files, and a find and replace option would probably not be feasible.

Still looking for an alternative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when you say "a find and replace option would probably not be feasible" because of "a great number of files," it depends on the tool you'd be using. FAR (shareware) and BK ReplaceEm (freeware) are both recommended by many forum users, and you'd be surprised at how quickly you could perform your cleanup. The most difficult part is to identify exactly what text strings to key on for replacement. I'm not sure about BK ReplaceEm, but In FAR you can create a batch file that runs through multiple replacements on the same set of files.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: MergeThisFAR (shareware) and BK ReplaceEm (freeware) are both recommended by many forum users, and you'd be surprised at how quickly you could perform your cleanup. The most difficult part is to identify exactly what text strings to key on for replacement. I'm not sure about BK ReplaceEm, but In FAR you can create a batch file that runs through multiple replacements on the same set of files.

Thank you, Leon, very good to know! I'll take a look into FAR. You're right, the biggest challenge with this is to identify what to replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp