• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typesetter's quotes corrupted

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any idea why using typesetter's quotes results in unicode 187, 190 and 188, 191 being entered, rather than 145, 146 and 147, 148?

It's irrespective of any language settings, and same with all fonts. It started after I was entering various characters from glyph menu, but I don't recall any details. Clearly something has corrupted what ID does when it assigns the characters. ID usually imports typographer's quotes from Word docs OK, but not always - there are random corruptions appearing in files here too. I am forced to type the characters with Alt-145 etc. every time (this works OK).

How on earth do I fix it?

ID CS6, Windows 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious as why it worked before but not anymore...

In the meantime, it looks like a job for Find-Replace.

Can you confirm if you have purged/reset your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fiddled with the preferences, turning things on and off, with no effect. I don't know how to purge/reset them.

I can do find and replace, of course, but it's time-consuming with every job, and I'd like to solve what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've purged the preferences. Makes no difference. The ' key gives ÔtextÕ, the " gives ÒtextÓ when typographer's quotes active. Typographer's quotes works fine in any other program like Word. I have a number of keyboard layouts in use, but it makes no difference what I select there, or in the language settings in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I knew exactly when it started, but unfortunately I can't place it precisely, so don't know what I was doing. I was running various scripts, but none of them were anything I hadn't used without problem earlier.

I'm wondering if it is possible to produce a script that as it were overwrites the ID typographer's quotes settings, but that's beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check Preferences?

What Language are you set to? What Dictionary? What do the Double and Single Quotes show?

InDesignss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hadn't checked Dictionary, but it's showing correct speech marks. All language settings are to English UK, but in fact it makes no difference - I've tried settings with a number of languages, and although the menus show the correct speech marks in each case, using the ' and " keys simply puts in the accented O characters.Screen Shot 06-12-17 at 03.01 PM.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines