• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert text bullet (alt8) to bulleted list

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken over an InDesign document with thousands of typed in bullets -  Find/change works, but I still need to do two runs. The first finds the bullet character and applies a Bull Para style and the second run removes the typed in bullet.
Is there any way to do the reverse of convert to text? i.e. Find the typed bullet character and replace it with a bulleted list?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Yep, that's how I do it, too.

You could save both queries after you set them up to make it quicker next time. Or use a multi-find change plug-in to run them consecutively, but again, not that much of a time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ve already found it. I suppose you could script it but I’m not sure you’d save much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's how I do it, too.

You could save both queries after you set them up to make it quicker next time. Or use a multi-find change plug-in to run them consecutively, but again, not that much of a time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Grep

Find

^(~8\t)(.)

Change to

$2

In the formatting - select your Paragraph style for bullets.

You may need to build on this if you have sub bullets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene-but Grep still makes my head hurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't like the /t - I guess because the user used multiple spaces. And wouldn't do anything without the $2 - but it worked like a dream - thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case you could use

^(~8\s+?).

That would be \s+ which is any space and keep on looking - the ? means to only find it in a nest of mixed spaces.

So essentially - I'm looking for a bullet - at the start of a sentence, followed by any type of space, repeating until no more are found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok nothing to be too worried about

All we're saying here is

^ - start of a sentence

~8 - is a bullet

\t - is a tab

I'm asking Indesign to find a bullet from the start of a sentence that's followed by a tab

~8\t is in parentheses because we want it to be a "found" expression

So

^(~8\t) tells indesign to find the bullet followed by a tab and remember this as "found" - typically it's called "found 1"

Next I have

. - which is any character

It's in parentheses because I want this be "found" - this will be marked to be "Found 2"

In the change area

I have $2

This denotes Found 2 - whereas $1 would be Found 1

I'm asking InDesign to find the bullet followed by a tab followed by any character. But having them in parentheses lets InDesign mark them as being different "Found" items.

In the change area - I'm asking InDesign to only replace the text with $2 (found 2) which is any character after the tab

So it's finding the bullet followed by tab followed by any character

And it's replacing it with just "found 2" which is any character that appears after the tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines