Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not generate PDF with required bleed using InDesign server

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Trying to create a PDF with a bleed of 0.125 using InDesign server.

But could not get it done.

Recently we migrated InDesign server CS5.5 from one server to another and It is not working after migration.

Trying to find out what I missed.

Please find the sample PDF with correct bleed

Screenshot_2.png

Incorrect Bleed

Screenshot_1.png

I tried generating PDFs using PDFPresets like (PressQuality and HighQualityPrint) but could not succeded.

I observed that there is a custom Preset called TD in my code but not in server.

Can you please guide me in right direction to resolve this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Screenshot_2.png

Incorrect Bleed

Screenshot_1.png

Looking at your captures it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. The top capture's page dimensions are the page dimension plus the .125" bleed. The bottom capture's dimensions are larger but you have included bleed marks which force the Page Size to be larger—Acrobat's Description>Page Size includes any marks.

So it becomes more obvious if the page has an object that bleeds and includes both Crop and Bleed Marks:

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.36.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.38.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally (unless you've been given a different spec by the printer) you would add the bleed to your InDesign document in the normal way, then select from the Acrobat PDF Presets in InDesign, PDF/X-4, and under the Marks and Bleeds Tab in the subsequent Export Adobe PDF dialogue box, you'd tick "Use Document Bleed Settings".

InDesign 5.5 is a pretty old version of InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insights Derek Cross,

But I am using InDesign server to generate the PDF by sending my desired PDFPreset like HighQuality or PrintQuality or SmallestFileSize or TD (custome Preset).

Though my InDesign template have the correct bleed (0.125), the final PDF from server is having some extra bleed around it.

Screenshot_2.png

But I need only the PDF with sizes 8.75x11.25

Read somewhere online and tried creating a custom preset with 0.125 bleed, saved it to my local machine as TD.joboptions and kept in the following folder of my Indesign server

C:\Users\<useraccount>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings

Screenshot_3.png

But no luck till date.

Am I missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know anything about InDesign server so don't know the differences.

The PDF preset for High Quality Print is for inkjet printers – what is your final PDF to be used for.

You seem to be adding the bleed at the printer level, but maybe I'm misunderstanding – are you using the Adobe PDF Dialogue box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign Server has no user interface. All is done using command lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The vendors will download the server generated PDF from the my application and use it for printing.

I have no idea bout Adobe PDF dialogue box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Indesign server in amazon AWS cloud and I have a web service setup in IIS on the same web server which interacts with InDesign server to generate the PDF.

I have an Adobe script file .jsx which I will send to above web service to produce the PDF/JPG output.

I can send the script file if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_2.png

Incorrect Bleed

Screenshot_1.png

Looking at your captures it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. The top capture's page dimensions are the page dimension plus the .125" bleed. The bottom capture's dimensions are larger but you have included bleed marks which force the Page Size to be larger—Acrobat's Description>Page Size includes any marks.

So it becomes more obvious if the page has an object that bleeds and includes both Crop and Bleed Marks:

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.36.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.38.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you want to get the trim, crop, bleed, or art box dimensions in Acrobat use Print Production>Set Page Boxes:

crop.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.05.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob day.

I removed bleed and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I removed bleed and it worked.

The vendors will download the server generated PDF from the my application and use it for printing.

Even though your example doesn't show any objects that need a bleed, your vendors might still be expecting a bleed. Their imposition software might need a bleed even when there are no bleed objects, so you should check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines