• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Labeling InDesign Thumbnails

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there ANY way to label InDesign thumbnails so that we can "see" what's on each page? Right now, we create a list elsewhere, which is wildly inefficient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to label exactly ? I am not sure I get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pages and spreads in InDesign

Not sure how you want to label thumbnails maybe a color label system will help?

Is this something that the Book feature might help with? Can you give more details?

You can create lo-res pdf's and change page labels there... doesn't solve the problem of editing page labels in the thumbnail panel but a quick work around none the less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a prefix to body pages with Numbering and Section Options in the Pages panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just combining all of the above, you have 3 options.

1. Add a color label to each master and then identify pages based on that

2. Name your master pages while creating

3. And last, as Barbara said, adding a prefix by creating sections

Let us know if this is what you wanted.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all.

Barb's answer is probably most efficient for what I am asking. I was hoping to find some way to label INDD thumbnails just like PSD layer thumbnails. We need to be somewhat specific, and it will only become more detailed from here.

The page contents are all so different that masters would create more work than they solve. At the same time, they are similar enough that we want to start each by duplicating another.

We are color coding to an extent, but still need some way to show which form for which city (<color coded) each page has. Right now, we have to click through ~8 pages for each city to figure out where each form is for editing. PDFs would be a one-two time fix at best since different forms are added to different cities constantly. To some extent, we can guess where each form is using a relative count (e.g., three from the "top" of each city section) but as unique forms get added for each city, this is becoming less and less doable.

Here's a partial/sample list:

CO-PA Searchable Documents

CO-PA No Documents

CO-PA Original Form

CO-PA Copy Form

CO-PA Legal Form

CO-PA Change Orders

CO-PA Change Orders (2)

CO-PA Estimate

CO-NJ Folder No Documents

CO-NJ No Permits

CO-NJ Original Form

CO-NJ Copy Form

CO-NJ Condensed Form

CO-NJ Change Orders

CO-NJ Approvals

CO-NY Folder No Documents

CO-NY Folder Searchable Documents

CO-NY Searchable Permits

CO-NY Folder (Misc)

CO-NY Original Form

CO-NY Official Form

CO-NY Condensed Form

CO-NY Change Orders

CO-NY Approvals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a way to simplify navigation?

What about using bookmarks? Or setting these files up as chapters with these names in a book?

As for the Photoshop reference, those are layers names, and we do have same feature in InDesign, but I don't see it helping with navigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to learn more about chapters and books. We're a marcomm firm, so we mostly do literature, data sheets, ads, etc. In many files, I can create a table of contents, but there isn't anything in these forms that I can apply necessary styles to.

I did think about using layers to create some kind of overlay, like a solid color with huge words stating what's on the page and turning that layer off and back on as we work. I also thought about using facing pages and putting the same kind of "graphic" on the left and the form on the right. Each of those also requires extra steps, though. It's just frustrating to not have a simpler way to do something that seems so rudimentary.

Thank you. I'll look into books and chapters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll look into books and chapters.

I think that workflow would be helpful. Come back if you have any questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. I love indesignsecrets, especially, and look there often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines