• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get stitich or embroidery effect in photoshop or illustrator

Participant ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All , can you please help to get the stitch effect in photoshop or illustrator..

example attached here.. please help me on this .

thanks in advance.

PRCMF_BLK_1FL_BLA (1).jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have had a play with this, and this is where I am at.

1/ define this as a new brush preset

Increase the spacing, and set the angle to 180°

In Shape Dynamics set the Angle jitter to Direction

Place your type using a nice broad typeface and a mid to dark grey colour.

Incidentally, I did try using a embroidered texture I set up a week or so back when someone else asked a similar question.  You can see why it does not work.

OK, on with the show.  Give the type layer some Bevel & Emboss layer style using Smooth.

Now add a new layer and clip it to the type layer, and then paint over the letters following the direction of the lines and curves.

Note I have set the foreground colour to white, and we are seeing the dark grey letters behind the effect layer.  You could change the contrast by adjusting the type layer colour, or adjusting the brush spacing.  I'm sure you'll know what I mean.  If I zoom in on this you'll see some compromise with the angle.  I think I can improve on this.

No, not by much.  My plan was to move the brush through an arc outside the curve of the letter, but it still gave me the crossed over threads effect.  What I did improve on was to select each part of each letter so that the threads are in the right direction for each stage. 

I hope this has been of some help, or at least given you some ideas to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice Trevor

I came across this, linked from the Illustrator forum, a few weeks ago. If original poster has Photoshop and Illustrator it looks worth a go

Embroidery Effect with Illustrator and Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a few minutes to spare so just tried the method linked from my last post. It doesn't do a bad job...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also take a look into Photoshop’s wind filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small related matter: For authenticity, the letters may benefit from a gentle warp to match the contour of the cap.

PRCMF.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Norman.  It's always nice to see you posting here. 🙂  

Dave, the Illustrator method makes an excellent job, and addresses the edges, which I omitted, despite being worried about it not being right. I am having to do some actual work right now, but I'll have a look at a Photoshop solution when I have some time.  Possibly by distorting the outline of a layer mask.  I don't know how I would do it at this time though. 

As soon as I thought about it I could see a way of doing it.  Stoke a path with a dotted brush.  I initially did it with black on a layer mask, but then decided it would better to use the background colour on a new layer.  I left a couple of wee artifacts from rushing it.  The worst one being an issue converting the selection to a path on the lower right slab serif of the A.  I should have Alt clicked the points to fix the slight curves, but you'll get the idea.  And a wee spherize to keep Norman happy.

Now I MUST do some work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines