• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When exporting to idml some images change to 50% transparency

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CC 2017 and have a problem with some files and some of the images contained within that file.

When I export as idml some random images change to 50% transparency. Some of the files or images will stay as 100% transparency.

Saving indd to a new indd keeps 100% transparency, but as soon as I export to idml, it reduces to 50%.

I've cross checked files where the transparency remains at 100% and the files where it reduces to 50% after exporting to idml. I can't see any differences in preferences or setup.

I have copied an image from an ok file into one that I know reduces to 50% and it does the same thing. It leads me to think that it is a particular issue with that file's settings, but it is random and not all images.

Anyone seen this before?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

You have a default effect of Luminosity 50% set. While I think this may be a bug, it looks like it’s being assigned to objects with none set as the object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question is why are you doing this? Second is what version of InDesign are you opening the file in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

We need to export as an idml as this is the file type/format that our CAT (Computer Aided Translation) software accepts. Same with Framemaker, it only accepts MIFs.

Even if I open the idml back in CC 2017, it is still 50% transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried duplicating what is happening to you but did not have the same problem. Have you tried deleting your InDesign preferences and/or your InDesign cache files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both my self and my client have this issue. I have also tried on different machines.

It appears to be a file setting somewhere as a file using the same images is ok and doesn't reduce the transparency to 50%.

InDesign CC 2017 was only installed a few months ago and on a 'new build' laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try upgrading to the latest version, CC2017.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you package and post one of the troublesome files for someone to look at. I suspect there may be an object style or effect somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,,

Here is a We Transfer link to the offending InDesign file. I haven't included any links as it isn't necessary to. Once the file is Exported as an idml, just clicking on the image frame reveals that the transparency has reduced to 50%.

https://we.tl/J4iC9B8hbI 

The small note icons, like the handbook or spanner usually got to 50% as does the header banner image.

If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a default effect of Luminosity 50% set. While I think this may be a bug, it looks like it’s being assigned to objects with none set as the object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's the man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

yes, this seems to be a bug.

I can confirm your observation after seeing into Dave's document with InDesign CS6.

But I cannot recreate the bug using a new document with my own material.

Just an observation:
If I look into the history of Dave's document I can see that it was created in 2007 with InDesign CS2 and changed through the years in various versions. Maybe that contributes to the problem.

FWIW: Not all graphic frames where object style "None" is applied show the problem.
I copied one frame where we see the problem to a new document, even placed a new image to it. Problem persists.
Did a new frame to recreate the problem and failed.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a lot of possible corruption to carry through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys! I knew it was a setting somewhere. The document is part of a large manual that has evolved from 1 source manual over the years.

Is there a quick fix, a global or setting change?

This appears to have only started since upgrading to CC2017. This 50% transparency wasn't noted previously on the same manuals.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

the quickest fix for me was to open the Object Styles panel with no objects on the page selected and remove the shown overrides for object styles ["None"] and the basic object style for graphic frames.

Tested on a German InDesign CC 2017.2 with German OS X 10.10.5.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also strongly recommend to use always dedicated Object Styles and avoid manual formatting.

I think export to IDML open the INDD and repair all problems should be done in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

davew68822712  wrote

… This appears to have only started since upgrading to CC2017. This 50% transparency wasn't noted previously on the same manuals.

Dave

Hi Dave,

hm, I don't think, that CC 2017 is the problem here.
I can see this behavior already after opening the document with CS6.
According to its history info the last saved version was in May 2017 with CS6, first saved version with CS2 in January 2007.

Just copy/paste the frame with the background image on the master to a new InDesign document and the issue persists. As long as you do not remove the overrides from the styles. And again: With a new document and new frames I cannot see this behavior. Overrides or not.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines