• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Ask When Pasting' Profile Mismatch Warning Not Working

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this while trying to assist someone in the Photoshop Family forum. If I copy & paste between two open documents inside PS 2017 I get the warning message on my Windows 7 system. This is as expected so no issue.

If I copy an sRGB Web posted image with FireFox color manged browser using 'right-click,' 'Copy Image,' and paste it into a ProPhoto RGB PS document there is no warning message and no profile conversion. If I use 'Save As,' download the same Web posted sRGB file, and drag & drop from Windows Explorer into the PS document, there is no warning, but the file is converted to the working color space ProPhoto RGB.

Here are my Color Settings. I've tried resetting PS Preferences and using the North America General Purpose setting to recreate the below saved settings. The issue remains the same.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

It seems to be Firefox, not Photoshop. When you right click > Copy Image, you essentially get a screenshot, not the original file. It's in monitor color space, and no profile embedded.

The Paste warning is for mismatched profiles, not missing profiles.

I also noticed that If you drag an image from Firefox and drop it in an empty Photoshop workspace, it opens with a BMP extension. But still in monitor color space. Here you get a missing profile dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be Firefox, not Photoshop. When you right click > Copy Image, you essentially get a screenshot, not the original file. It's in monitor color space, and no profile embedded.

The Paste warning is for mismatched profiles, not missing profiles.

I also noticed that If you drag an image from Firefox and drop it in an empty Photoshop workspace, it opens with a BMP extension. But still in monitor color space. Here you get a missing profile dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

The Paste warning is for mismatched profiles, not missing profiles

thanks for the clarification. I see that now looking at the Color Settings warning options.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Here I was using drag & drop of a file with a mismatched embedded profile from Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer) into an existing document. I thought that would be considered a "paste" operation, but I guess it's treated as a "place" operation so no warning.

Here's the post I was looking at that sparked this thread. I can see where this request has bigger issues (i.e. potential for undetected profile mismatches):

Paste as Smart Object | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines