• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inverting a selection causes Photoshop to instantly crash & close, what could be causing this?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't happen EVERY time but the majority, and it is often just after completing a cutout as I will select the path then invert it etc.

Photoshop will instantly disappear upon hitting CMD+SHIFT+I (will also happen when using the menu button) losing up to 5 minutes work depending on whether auto recover works.

I have had this error for a few weeks now since updating Photoshop to 17.1 along with a few colleagues, although their systems seem to do it less.

It occurs a few times a day and I'm not sure what to do, if anyone could give any advise that would be great, have played with some settings to no avail and searched the forums but noone else seems to have the issue?

I'm running the latest up to date version of CC on OSX 10.11.06.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that during the "play with settings", unfortunately no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated to Photoshop CC2017.1.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -  "I'm running the latest up to date version of CC"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a case of turn it off and on again there's something a lot deeper going on here I have a feeling it's hardware related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me, and it's driving me crazy. The problem started yesterday and I'm trying to troubleshoot it, but haven't had any luck yet, so hoping to find some help.

After the third time it happened today, I went to check if there was an update from Adobe -- there was -- and I installed it (it looked like a minor update, and I didn't see anything in the notes describing this "invert selection crash" issue).

But now I'm running the latest version of Photoshop (CC2017.1.1) on a Mac Pro (OS X 10.11.6).

Much like jacobz7365038, when I work on a file, I'm able to invert my selections either using CMD+SHIFT+I (or via the menu) several times -- it doesn't crash.

But after about 3-4 minutes of working on the file, when I try to invert my selections, the program instantly crashes.

So far, I've trashed my preferences, I've used DiskWarrior to rebuild all my drives (I use SSD drives for my system, my scratch disk, and my project drive), and I've used OnyX to repair permissions. But it still crashes after about 3-4 minutes, always when I try to invert a selection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've noticed that may or may not be relevant is I often make use of the "Rotate View" tool while working -- when I've tried to replicate the problem and I hit CMD+SHIFT+I before I rotate the view, Photoshop doesn't crash -- but it almost always does after I've rotated the view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't noticed previously but after just trying it out you are right; rotate view does seem to be related!

The plot thickens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me nuts.

I'm wondering if it's related to performance settings in Photoshop, so that's what I'm going to experiment with today.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti OpenGL Engine card in my Mac Pro, with 64 GM 1333 MHz DDR3 EEC memory.

Under Preferences/Performance, here are my current settings:

Available RAM: 62079 MB

Ideal Range: 34143-44679 MB

Let Photoshop Use: 42214 MB (68%)

Optimize Cache Levels and Tile Size for: Huge Pixel Dimensions

History States: 25

Cache Levels: 6

Cache Tile Size: 1024K

Under Preferences/Performance/Advanced Settings, here are my current settings:

Drawing Mode: Advanced

Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation: Yes

Use OpenCL: Yes

Anti-alias Guides and Paths: Yes

30 Bit Display: No

Use native operating system GPU acceleration: Greyed out, not an option

First thing I'm going to try is turning off "Use OpenCL" and see if that helps. (Not because I have any real idea if this will actually help, but it beats doing nothing and crashing every 5 minutes.)

Still hoping others can weigh in with suggestions...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using an Nvidia card (GTX 970), since installing it in my computer there have been some strange issues with Photoshop and OSX (unable to log in/ crashes/ using the wrong driver and not outputting any video)

Could it be the card / driver affecting something?

This is something I have wondered from the start, the web drivers seem a bit dodgy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still happening and it's still driving me crazy. Not sure if it's the Nvidia card, I've had my GTX 980 in my computer for over a year and this wasn't an issue until about a month ago.

Still hopeful that some other power users can help out with suggestions? Turning of "Use OpenCL" didn't help (it was a total shot in the dark, but oh well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines