• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC: Enabling Time Remapping displaces clip and slows it

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, as I have to sync some game footage (720p30fps) to a song, I have started using Time Remapping today.
It worked fine, but all of a sudden (or so I think) everything kept going horribly wrong: If I right-click a layer and select Time>Enable Time Remapping, the timeline for it pops up, but there are no keyframes (as opposed to one at start and beginning). The selected frame changes and is at a totally different point in time (last time in-game time was ~4 min instead of ~11 min), but layer markers stay at their previous point in relation to the composition; however, they are at a totally different scene of the actual layer.
Example: I layer-mark a kill at 5:00 in game and 1:00 into the composition, after I enable Time Remapping, the layer hasn't moved and the marker is still at 1:00, but now at a totally different in-game scene.
So I checked if the timing had changed, and apparently the game time only ran 30 secs further between two points that should have been exactly 1 minute apart.
I should mention that the clips are taken from a video that's more than 5 hours long, so the start and ending point of it are outside of the composition, the In and Out (?) of the layer are obviously inside of it, though.

I really hope you understand my problem and perhaps you can help me out.
Sorry for my English, but thanks in advance!
YessirG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please post as screenshot for the composition settings " ctrl + K " and the timeline with layers and keyframes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 hours of video in AE? No offense, but that's utter nonsense. You need to split up the file in much smaller chunks. It's inevitable that you run into trouble with that kind of thing - it will flood-fill your disc caches and your property stream values will run out of headroom/ precision. Yolur workflow makes absolutely no sense.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty new to Adobe, I just cut out the parts I wanted in Premiere Pro (about 4 min total) and pasted some of them into AE for kind of an intro. I thought it wouldn't matter what the original length of the video was, but only the "brighter" parts in the timeline would be calculated anyway.
So what would you suggest in order to prevent such long layers?  Is there a way to completely trim clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They won't. That's not how it works. DynamicLink still references the whole clip. If you actualyl wnat to trim the parts, you have to export them from Premiere or create new master-/ sub-clips from your selection.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyframes added to time remapping are at the beginning and end of the video not at the in and out points you have set. You can always set the CTI (current time indicator) anywhere in the timeline and type in a value for Time Remapping. That will set a keyframe at that point and move the video to that time. Then you can simply move the CTI down the time line and enter a new time. If you want the video to run in real time then you have to do the required math. - That's how time remapping works. Please type "time remapping" in AE's search help field and study up on this tool. Even for an experienced user like myself the Search Help field is one of my best friends.

As for editing an open you'll want to do that in Premiere Pro, not in AE, especially if you are starting with 5 hours of video. Also, you should be sure that you study up on frame rates and formats so you understand what you are working with. Screen capture programs are notorious for using codecs and formats that are not at all compatible with traditional editing software. The only thing you should be using After Effects for is for creating shots that you cannot create any other way. Compositing, Visual Effects, motion graphics - these are the kinds of things that AE is designed to do. Editing is not on the list. On occasion you can create a short sequence that covers a sentence or two or a couple of phrases of music, but you would never want to edit anything that involved more than a few shots in AE. Most of my AE comps are under 7 seconds and only contain one shot. I render the comps and do the editing in Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a unique answer in that you mentioned required math is necessary to time remap in AE, but not premiere?  For example, I have a serious problem with my workflow doing very particularly smooth time remapping in premiere, and then sending the multi nested clip to AE for masked coloring.  When in AE the keyframes act differently, as if my ramping data was not transferred to AE correctly. The composition ends with freeze-frames and I can never get the footage to playback super smooth like premiere automatically does when getting specific with the speed ramp beziers. 

Is there a way to send a premiere clip with ramped footage to AE and not have AE change any of the timing at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

did you find the solution of wrong time remapping keyframing after Premiere to AE export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi YessirD,

How did you end up solving this issue? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines